Age-related changes, including synergy and suppression, in the mixed lymphocyte reaction in long-lived mice
The mixed lymphocyte culture reaction represents the in vitro counterpart of the recognition phase of the graft-versus-host reaction, and of allograft rejection. The mixed lymphocyte culture reactivities of lymph node and spleen cells from all strains of mice studied, including long-lived strains, and of thymus cells from most strains show a striking decline with advanced age. Furthermore, studies of “synergy” between subpopulations of T cells in the mixed lymphocyte culture reaction suggest that the cells of the recirculating lymphoid pool (T2 cells) in particular display a functional decline. Finally, spleen cells from old mice of appropriate strains inhibit or suppress the mixed lymphocyte culture reactivity of lymph node or spleen cells from young mice.—Gerbase-DeLima, M., P. Meredith and R. L. Walford. Age-related changes, including synergy and suppression, in the mixed lymphocyte reaction in long-lived mice. Federation Proc. 34: 159–161, 1975.
KeywordsSpleen Cell Allograft Rejection Node Cell Mixed Lymphocyte Reaction Mixed Lymphocyte Culture
mixed lymphocyte culture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Goodman, S. A., and T. Makinodan. J. Immunol. In press.Google Scholar
- 6.Halsall, M. H., M. L. Heidrick, J. W. Deitchman and T. Makinodan. Gerontologist 13: 46, 1973.Google Scholar
- 8.Makinodan, T., E. H. Perkins and M. G. Chen. Advan. Gerontol. Res. 3: 171, 1971.Google Scholar
- 10.Peterson, W. F. Gerontologist 12: 30, 1972.Google Scholar
- 11.Teller, M. N. In: Tolerance, Autoimmunity and Aging, edited by L. Gitman, M. Bunch and M. Rockstein. Springfield, Ill.: Thomas, 1972, pp. 18–32.Google Scholar
- 12.Tittor, W., M. Gerbase-Delima and R. L. Walford. J. Exptl. Med.Google Scholar
- 13.Tittor, W., M. Gerbase-Delima and R. L. Walford.J. Immunol. (submitted).Google Scholar
- 16.Walford, R. L. The Immunologic Theory of Aging. Copenhagen: Munksgaard, 1969.Google Scholar
- 17.Walford, R. L. Federation Proc. 33: 2020, 1974.Google Scholar
- 18.Yunis, E. J., G. Fernandes, J. Smith, O. Stutman and R. A. Good. In: Microenvironmental Aspects of Immunity. New York: Plenum, 1972, p. 301–306.Google Scholar