A liquid membrane is a membrane which uses a specifically formulated liquid to form small-diameter spherical shells separating two miscible phases. The potential range of liquid membrane applications is quite wide, and includes separation of hydrocarbons (Li, 197la, 197lb), removal of contaminants from wastewater (Li and Shrier, 1972; Matulevicius and Li, 1975), oxygenation of blood (Li and Asher, 1973), removal of toxins from blood (Asher et al., 1975), and encapsulation of enzymes and/or microorganisms for reaction and/or separation (May and Li, 1972, 1974; May and Landgraff, 1975; Li et al., 1973; Mohan and Li, 1974, 1975).
KeywordsLiquid Membrane External Solution Membrane Phase Liquid Membrane Emulsion External Aqueous Phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asher, W. J., Bovee, K. C., Frankenfeld, J. W., Hamilton, R. W., Henderson, L. W., Holtzapple, P. G., and Li, N. N., 1975, Liquid membrane system directed toward chronic uremia, Kidney Int. 7: 5409.Google Scholar
- Baricos, W. H., Chambers, R. P., and Cohen, W., 1975, Considerations on the use of cofactor-requiring enzymes in enzyme engineering, Enzyme Technol. Digest 4: 39–53.Google Scholar
- Chang, T. M. S., 1972, Artificial Cells, Charles C. Thomas, Publisher, Springfield, Ill.Google Scholar
- Edwards, V. H., 1972, Origins of separation systems, in: Recent Developments in Separation Science, Vol. 2, p. 269, CRC Press, Cleveland, Ohio.Google Scholar
- Li, N. N., and Long, R. B., 1973, Membrane processes, in: Perry’s Chemical Engineer’s Handbook, 5th ed., pp. 17–34, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.Google Scholar
- Li, N. N., and Shrier, A. L., 1972, Liquid membrane water treating, in: Recent Developments in Separation Science, Vol. 1, p. 163, CRC Press, Cleveland, Ohio.Google Scholar
- Li, N. N., Mohan, R. R., and Brusca, D. R., 1973, Process for the Reaction and Separation of Components Utilizing a Liquid Surfactant Membrane and an Enzyme Catalyst, U.S. Pat. 3,740, 315.Google Scholar
- May, S. W., and Li, N. N., 1974, Encapsulation of enzymes in liquid membrane emulsions, Enzyme Eng., 2: 77–82.Google Scholar
- Medical News (Journal of the American Medical Association), 1971, 218 (3):325.Google Scholar