In nature, most enzymes and proteins are located inside biological cells. Inside cells, most enzymes and proteins are further subdivided into smaller immobilized systems of intracellular organelles or intracellular membrane systems. Enzyme and protein research and its application have gone through interesting stages (Table 1). Stage I included extensive research into the extraction, purification, and crystallization of enzymes from biological cells and other sources. Enzymes obtained this way were used for detailed studies of enzyme kinetics.
KeywordsImmobilize Enzyme Enzyme Kinetic Biological Cell Covalent Linkage Intracellular Environment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chang, T. M. S., 1972, Artificial Cells, Charles C. Thomas, Publisher, Springfield, Ill.Google Scholar
- Dunlop, R. B. (ed.), 1974, Immobilized Biochemicals and Affinity Chromatography, Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Goldman, R., Goldstein, L., and Katchalski, E., 1971, 1971, in: Biochemical Aspects of Reactions on Solid Surfaces (G. R. Stark, ed.), Academic Press, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Mosbach, K. (ed.), 1976, Immobilized Enzymes (Methods in Enzymology Series), Academic Press, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Pye, E. K., and Wingard, L. B., Jr. (eds.), 1974, Enzyme Engineering, Vol. 2, Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Salmona, M., Saronio, C., and Garanttini, S. (eds.), 1974, Insolubilized Enzymes, Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Sundaram, P. V., Pye, E. K., Chang, T. M. S., Edwards, V. H., Humphrey, A. E., Kaplan, N. O., Katchalski, E., Levin, Y., Lilly, M. D., Manecke, G., Mosbach, K., Patchornik, A., Porath, J., Weetall, H., and Wingard, L. B., Jr., 1972, Recommendation for standardization of nomenclature in enzyme technology, Biotechnol. Bioeng. 14: 15.Google Scholar
- Weetall, H. H. (ed.), 1975, Immobilized Enzymes, Antigens, Antibodies, and Peptides, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Wingard, J. B., Jr. (ed.), 1972, Enzyme Engineering, Vol. 1, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Zaborsky, O. R., 1973, Immobilized Enzymes, CRC Press, Cleveland, Ohio.Google Scholar