The Utilization of Solar Energy for Hydrogen Production by Cell Free System of Photosynthetic Organisms
The production of hydrogen by a cell free system of photosynthetic organisms is discussed. This represents a potential source of energy that does not exploit traditional energy resources but utilizes available solar radiation. Screening of tropical and subtropical marine photosynthetic bacteria and algae which exhibit a high activity for the photoproduction of hydrogen is also proposed.
KeywordsElectron Flow Methyl Viologen Photosynthetic Organism Cell Free System Cyclic Electron Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Mitsui, A., C. Hill and D. Rosner. Abstracts of the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, 1974 (in press).Google Scholar
- 4.Mitsui, A. and D. I. Arnon, Plant Physiol. 37S: I V (1962).Google Scholar
- 5.Mitsui, A., A. Paneque and D. I. Arnon. Quoted in the following review papers by D. I. Arnon: Photosynthetic Mechanisms of Green Plants, B. Kok and A. T. Jagendorf (eds.); Pub. No. 1.145, Washington, D.C., National Research Council, p. 195 (1963) and Science 194: 1,1460 (1965).Google Scholar
- 6.Mitsui, A. and D. I. Arnon, unpublished data (1962).Google Scholar
- 7.San Pietro, A. (Editor), Methods in Enzymology, Vol. 23, Academic Press, New York (1971).Google Scholar
- 8.Mitsui, A., Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 243: 447 (1971).Google Scholar
- 9.Mitsui, A. and D. I. Arnon, Physiol. Plantarum, 25.: 135 (1971).Google Scholar
- 11.Mitsui, A. and K. Tsushima, in Structure and Function of Cytochromes. Edited by K. Okunuki, M. D. Kamen and I. Sekuzu, University of Tokyo and University of Park Press, Tokyo and Baltimore, p. 459 (1968).Google Scholar