Stereospecific Analysis of Triacylglycerols
Natural triacylglycerols consist of complex mixtures of fatty acids esterified to specific hydroxyl groups of the glycerol molecule. Although glycerol has a plane of symmetry, asymmetrical triacylglycerols are formed when the primary hydroxyl groups are esterified with different fatty acids. Furthermore, the primary hydroxyl groups can be distinguished by stereospecific enzymes.
KeywordsCocoa Butter Pancreatic Lipase Positional Distribution Grignard Reagent Stereospecific Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brockerhoff, H., and Yurkowski, M., 1966, Stereospecific analyses of several vegetable fats, J. Lipid Res. 6:62.Google Scholar
- Christie, W. W., 1973, Lipid Analysis, Pergamon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Eisenberg, S., and Levy, R. T., 1976, Lipoprotein metabolism, in: Advances in Lipid Research, Vol. 13 (R. Paoletti and D. Kritchevsky, eds.), pp. 1–80, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Hirschman, H. J., 1960, The nature of substrate asymmetry in stereoselective reactions, J. Biol. Chem. 235:2762.Google Scholar
- Kleiman, R., Miller, R. W., Earle, F. R., and Wolfe, I. A., 1966, Optically active aceto-triglycerides of oil from Euonymus verrucosus seeds, Lipids 1:1286.Google Scholar
- Kuksis, A., 1972, Newer developments in determination of structure of glycerides and phosphoglycerides, in: Progress in the Chemistry of Fats and Other Lipids, pp. 1–163, Pergamon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Litchfield, C., 1972, Analysis of Triglycerides, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Morley, N. H., Kuksis, A., Hoffman, A. G. D., and Kakis, G., 1977, Preferential in vivo accumulation of sn-2,3-diacylglycerols in post heparin plasma of rats, Can. J. Biochem. 55 (in press).Google Scholar
- Myher, J. J., Marai, L., Kuksis, A., and Kritchevsky, D., 1977, Acylglycerol structure of peanut oils of different atherogenic potential, Lipids 12 (in press).Google Scholar
- Smith, S., and Abraham, S., 1975, The composition and biosynthesis of milk fat, in: Advances in Lipid Research, Vol. 13 (R. Paoletti and D. Kritchevsky, eds.), pp. 195–239, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar