Comparison of the Rat and Mouse Encephalitogenic Determinants
Because of extensive knowledge of the regulation of the immune response in the mouse it is an excellent animal for studying models of human autoimmune disease. However, most strains of mice are resistant to the induction of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE). The SJL/J and SJL/J/BALB/c hybrids are susceptible to mouse spinal cord, mouse myelin basic protein and a peptide corresponding to the region between amino acid residues 45 and 89 in other myelin proteins (2). However, even with this strain, relatively large doses of encephalitogen are necessary and the use of pertussis vaccine as an additional adjuvant is essential (1).
KeywordsExperimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis Myelin Basic Protein Experimental Allergic Encephalomyelitis Pertussis Vaccine Mouse Spinal Cord
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bernard, C.C.A. and Carnegie, P.R., Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in mice: Immunologic response to mouse spinal cord and myelin basic proteins, J. Immunol. 114 (1975) 15371540.Google Scholar
- 3.Burgess, K.T., Bernard, C.C.A. and Carnegie, P.R., Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in mice: Isolation, amino acid sequence and immunological activities of an encephalitogenic fragment from the smaller basic protein from mouse myelin: in preparation.Google Scholar
- 5.Dunkley, P.R. and Carnegie, P.R., Amino acid sequence of the smaller basic protein from rat myelin, Biochem. J. 141 (1974) 243-255.Google Scholar
- 6.Hashim, G.A., Amino acid sequence requirement for induction of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis in Lewis rats: Abstracts of the ISN Satellite Symposium on “Myelination and Demyelination - Recent Chemical Advances”, Helsinki, August, 1977, p. 23.Google Scholar
- 8.Westall, F.C., Thompson, M. and Lennon, V.A., Hyperacute autoimmune encephalomyelitis induced by a synthetic auto-antigen, Nature, in press.Google Scholar
- 9.Yasuda, T., Tsumita, T., Nagai, Y., Mitsusawa, E. and Ohtani, S., Experimental allergic encephalomyelitis (EAE) in mice: 1. Induction of EAE with mouse spinal cord homogenate and myelin basic protein, Jap. J. Exp. Med. 45 (1975) 423–427.Google Scholar