Adjuvant Chemotherapy and Immunotherapy in Colorectal Cancer
Colorectal cancer appears to be an ever-growing epidemic with an all-time high incidence of approximately 100,000 new cases estimated in the United States during 1977. This disease, which seems to affect males and females equally, has been subjected to numerous surgical therapeutic approaches during the past two decades. Unfortunately, these exhaustive conventional approaches have failed to improve the overall prognosis (Donaldson and Welch, 1974).
KeywordsColorectal Cancer Carcinoembryonic Antigen Advanced Colorectal Cancer Serial Determination Operable Lesion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Grage, T., Cornell, G., Strawitz, J., Jonas, K., Frelick, R., and Metter, G., 1975, Adjuvant therapy with 5-FU after surgical resection of colo-rectal cancer, Proc. Am. Soc. Clin. Oncol. 16: 258.Google Scholar
- Hellström, I. and Hellström, K. E., 1972, Newer concepts of cancer of the colon and rectum: Cellular immunity to human colonic carcinomas, Dis. Colon Rectum 15:100–105.Google Scholar
- Hersh, E. M., Gutterman, J. U., and Mavligit, G., 1973, Immunotherapy of Cancer in Man: Scientific Basis and Current Status, p. 141, Thomas, Springfield, Ill.Google Scholar
- Hollinshead, A., Glew, D., Bunnag, B., Gold, P., and Herberman, R., 1970, Skin-reactive soluble antigen from intestinal cancer-cell-membranes and relationship to carcinoembryonic antigens, Lancet 1:1191–1195.Google Scholar
- House, A. K., Wisniewski, S., and Woodings, T. L., 1975, Immunity in colonic tumor patients after operation: Determination by leukocyte-migration inhibition, Dis. Colon Rectum 18:100-106.Google Scholar
- Mavligit, G. M., Gutterman, J. U., Burgess, M. A., Khankhanian, N., Seibert, G. B., Speer, J. F., Jubert, A. V., Martin, R. C., McBride, C. M., Copeland, E. M., Gehan, E. A., and Hersh, E. M., 1976, Prolongation of post operative disease free interval and survival in human colorectal cancer by bacillus-Calmette-Guérin • (BCG) or BCG plus 5-fluorouracil, Lancet 1: 871–876.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rousselot, L. M., Cole, D. R., Grossi, C. E., Conte, A.J., Gonzales, E. M., and Pasternack, B. S., 1972, Adjuvant chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil in surgery for colorectal cancer; eight year progress report, Dis. Colon Rectum 15:169–174.Google Scholar
- Seitanides, B., and Georgoulis, B., 1975, Rosette-forming-lymphocyte counts in cancer of the colon, Lancet 1:461.Google Scholar
- Straus, E., Vernace, S., Janowitz, H., and Paronetto, F., 1975, Migration of peripheral leukocytes in the presence of carcinoembryonic antigen: Studies in patients with chronic inflammatory diseases of the intestine and carcinoma of the colon and jancreas, Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 148: 494–497.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Turnbull, R. B., Jr., 1970, Cancer of the colon: The five-and ten-year survival rates following resection utilizing the isolation technique, Ann. R. Coll. Surg. Eng. 46: 243–250.Google Scholar