Static and Dynamic Textures in Superfluid 3He-A
Static textures in confined superfluid 3He-A near Tc are studied with the Ginzburg-Landau free energy. Plane boundaries induce a uniform texture that becomes deformed at a critical perpendicular magnetic field; above that value, the mean super-fluid density measured in torsional oscillations decreases mono-tonically from \(\rho _s^ \bot \) to ρs ||. Cylindrical boundaries induce a flared texture, with a circulating current and an angular momentum per particle ≈ 0.782 hρs||/ρ; this configuration deforms continuously with increasing axial magnetic field up to a critical value, when a discrete transition takes place to a planar texture with neither current nor angular momentum. Leggett’s dynamical equations are generalized to incorporate static inhomogeneous textures, which then represent the zero-order solutions in the presence of a weak r-f field. The first-order response characterizes the various textures, which may permit an unambiguous experimental identification.
KeywordsOrbital Angular Momentum Torsional Oscillation Total Free Energy Discrete Transition Axial Magnetic Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (2).V. Ambegaokar, P. G. de Gennes, and D. Rainer, Phys. Rev. A 9, 2676 (1974); A 12, 245 (1975).Google Scholar
- (4).V. L. Ginzburg and L. D. Landau, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 20, 1064 (1950).Google Scholar
- (8).L. J. Buchholtz and A. L. Fetter, Phys. Lett. A 58, 93 (1976) and (to be published). As demonstrated in these papers, a general nonuniform texture in 3He-A requires two gap functions, Δ1 and Δ2; this subtlety has proved unnecessary for the present considerations.Google Scholar
- (9).V. Ambegaokar and D. Rainer (unpublished).Google Scholar
- (11).A. L. Fetter, Phys. Rev. B 15 (to be published).Google Scholar
- (13).P. W. Anderson and W. F. Brinkman, in “The Helium Liquids”, edited by J. G. M. Armitage and I. E. Farquhar (Academic, London, 1975), Sec. VIII, pp. 406–413.Google Scholar
- (17).H. Smith, W. F. Brinkman, and S. Engelsberg, Phys. Rev. B (to be published).Google Scholar