Free Electron Lasers
Lasers based on the stimulated emission of radiation by free electrons in a spatially periodic magnetic field offer a unique potential for tunable operation at high power and high efficiency. Substantial advances have been made recently in the theoretical analysis of this class of device and in the operation in our laboratory of a 10 μ free electron laser amplifier. These results and the implications for the design of a practical device will be reviewed.
KeywordsInteraction Region Storage Ring Classical Approximation Free Electron Laser Velocity Modulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (2).D. A. G. Deacon, et al., to be published in Phys. Rev. Letts.Google Scholar
- (3).L. R. Elias, et al., “A Discussion of the Potential of the Free Electron Laser as a High Power Tuneable Source of Infrared, Visible and Ultraviolet Radiation,” published in theProceedings of the Synchrotron Radiation Facilities Quebec Summer Workshop, (Université Laval, Quebec, Canada, 15–18June 1976).Google Scholar
- (4).H. Motz, J. Appl. Phys. 22, 527 (1951); H. Motz and M. Nakamura,Ann. Phys. (N.Y.) 7, 84 (1959); H. Motz and M. Nakamura,Proceedings of the Symposium on Millimeter Waves, Microwave Research Institute Symposia Series, Vol. IX, (New York:Interscience, 1960), p. 155; H. Motz, W. Thon, and R. N.Whitehurst, J. Appl. Phys. 24., 826 (1953).ADSCrossRefMATHGoogle Scholar
- (6).H. Dreicer, Phys. Fluids, 7, 735 (1964); R. H. Pantell,G. Soncini and H. E. Puthoff, IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 4,905 (1968); V. P. Sukhatme and P. W. Wolff, J. Appl. Phys. 44,2331 (1973); P. Sprangle, V. L. Granatstein and L. Baker,Phys. Rev. A, 12, 1697 (1975); F. A. Hopf, et al., Optics Commun., 18, 413 (1976); F. A. Hopf, et al., Phys. Rev.Letts. 37, 1342 (1976); W. B. Colson, Phys. Letts. 59A,187 (1976); A. Hasegewa et al., Appl. Phys. Letts. 29, 542(1976); T. Kwan, J. M. Dawson and T. Lin, to be published in Phys. Fluids; A. Gover to be published in Appl. Phys.(Springer-Verlag).MathSciNetADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- (7).W. Heitler, The Quantum Theory of Radiation (The ClarendonPress, Oxford, 3rd Edition) p. 76.Google Scholar
- (8).M. Sands, in Physics with Intersecting Storage Rings, B.Touschck, ed. (Academic Press, N.Y.: 1971) p. 257.Google Scholar