Some Aspects of the Mathematics of Limulus
The compound eyes of the horse-shoe crab exhibit one of the few nervous networks which are well understood, mainly because of its simple and repetitive structure. The theory of this network poses various mathematical questions such as existence and uniqueness of stationary solutions, stability problems and, at present of greatest interest, the existence of periodic solutions of differential equations with retarded argument.
KeywordsPeriodic Solution Retarded Argument Mach Band Phase Plane Method American East Coast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coleman,B.D., and Renninger,G.H., Periodic solutions of a nonlinear functional equation describing neural action, Istituto Lombardo Acad.Sci.Lett.Rend.A, 109, 91–111 (1975)Google Scholar
- Dunkel,G., Single species model for population growth depending on past history in: Seminar on Differential euqations and dynamical systems, Lecture Notes in Mathematics Vol. 60, Berlin Springer 1968.Google Scholar
- Hadeler,K.P., On the theory of lateral inhibition, Kyberneti k 14, 161–165 (1 974)Google Scholar
- Hadeler,K. P., and Tomiuk,J., Periodic solutions ofdi fference-di fferenti al equations, Arch.Rat.Mech.Anal, to appear.Google Scholar
- Hartl i ne,H. K., Studies on excitation and inhibition in the retina, Chapman and Hall, London (1974)Google Scholar
- Kaplan,J.L. and Yorke,J.A., Existence and stability of periodic solutions of x’(t)=-f(x(t),x(t-l))5 in: Cesari Lamberto (ed.) Dynamical Systems I,II Providence (1974)Google Scholar
- May,R., Stability and complexity in model ecosystems, Pop.Biol.6, Princeton Univ.Press (1974)Google Scholar
- Morishita,I., and Yajima,A., Analysis and simulation of networks of mutually inhibiting neurons, Kyberneti V 11, 154–165 (1 972)Google Scholar
- Nussbaum,R. D., Periodic solutions of some nonlinear autonomous functional differential equations, Annali di Matematica Ser.4, 51, 263–306 (1974)Google Scholar
- Pesin,J.B., On the behavior of a strongly nonlinear differential equation with retarded argument. Differentsial 1 nye uravnenija 10, l025–l036 (1 974)Google Scholar
- Walter,H., Habi 1 i tati onsschri ft, Saarbrticken 1971.Google Scholar
- 27.Walther,H.-0., On a transcendental equation in the stability analysis of a population growth model, J.of Math.Biol. 3, 187–195 (1976)Google Scholar