Central Control of Scent Marking
Despite the growing interest in olfactory communication, few studies have examined neural mechanisms controlling scent marking. Compared to efforts to understand how odor cues affect recipient animals, little attention has focused on any aspect of signal sending. Interest in the signaling animal is often limited to identifying the chemical structure of the odor involved and to determining how and where it is produced. Yet to understand olfactory communication processes, we must also study the mechanisms that determine when and where animals actively signal by releasing or depositing odors.
KeywordsPreoptic Area Mongolian Gerbil Scent Marking Testosterone Propionate Estradiol Benzoate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahmed, L. and Ishida, H. 1971. Effect of testosterone on nuclear phosphoproteins of rat ventral prostate. Molec. Pharmacol. 7:323–327.Google Scholar
- Barfield, R.J. 1965. Induction of courtship and aggressive behavior by intracranial implants of androgen in capons. Amer. Zool. 5:203.Google Scholar
- Barfield, R.J. 1967. Activation of sexual and aggressive behavior by androgen implants in the brain of the male ring dove. Amer. Zool. 7:800.Google Scholar
- Hart, B.L. 1974b. Environmental and hormonal influences on urine marking behavior in the adult male dog. Behay. Biol. 11:167176.Google Scholar
- Hart, B.L. and Barrett, R.E. 1973. Effects of castration on fighting, roaming, and urine spraying in adult male cats. J. Amer. Vet. Med. Assoc. 163:290–292.Google Scholar
- Hopkins, S.G., Schubert, T.A., and Hart, B.L. 1976. Castration of adult male dogs: Effects on roaming, aggression, urine marking, and mounting. J. Amer. Vet. Med. Assoc., in press.Google Scholar
- Lisk, R.D. 1962. Diencephalic placement of estradiol and sexual receptivity in the female rat. Amer. J. Physiol. 203:403–496.Google Scholar
- Mainwaring, W.I.P. and Jones, D.M. 1975. Influence of receptor complexes on the properties of prostate chromatin including its transcription by RNA polymerase. J. Steroid Blochem. 6:475481.Google Scholar
- Palka, Y.S. and Sawyer, C.H. 1966. The effects of hypothalamic implants of ovarian steroids on estrous behavior in rabbits. J. Physiol. 180:251–269.Google Scholar
- Yahr, P. 1972. Molecular regulation of territorial marking in the Mongolian gerbil (Meriones unguiculatus). Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas at Austin.Google Scholar
- Yahr, P. 1976a. Effects of hormones and lactation on gerbils that seldom scent mark spontaneously. Physiol. Behay. 16:395–399.Google Scholar