A Young Problem Drinkers Programme as a Means of Establishing and Maintaining Treatment Contact
Despite the increased frequency with which young problem drinkers are presenting themselves for treatment (Smart and Finley 1975), almost no work has been reported concerning specialised treatment services for persons age 30 or under who abuse alcohol. The usual practice in Britain has been for these patients to be included in treatment where the predominant age range of patients is 35 to 50. Glasgow is no exception; specialised treatment services for this clinical subgroup is non-existent within the national health service.
KeywordsNational Health Service Treatment Goal Survival Group Premature Termination Treatment Contact
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chafetz, M.B., Blane, H.T., Abeam, H.S., Golner, J., Lacey, E., McCourt, W.F., Claek, E. and Meyers, W. (1962). “Establishing Treatment Relations with Alcoholics”. Journal of Nervous & Mental Diseases, 134. 394–404.Google Scholar
- Demone, H.W. (1963). “Experiments in Referral to Alcoholism Clinics”. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 24. 495–502.Google Scholar
- Fischer, J. (1976). “An Evaluation of the Importance of Staff-Patient Relationships and Treatment Milieu as Process Variables in Alcoholism Treatment”. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- Jellinek, E.M. (1960). The Disease Concept of Alcoholism. Hillhouse, New Haven.Google Scholar
- Miller, B.A., Pokorny, A.D., Valles, J. and Cleveland, S.E. (1970). “Biased Sampling in Alcoholism Treatment Research”. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 31. 97–107.Google Scholar
- Mentz, E. (1971). Marathon Groups: Reality and Symbol, Appleton, Centry-Crofts, New York.Google Scholar
- Rosenberg, C.M. and Amadeo, M. (1974). “Long-Term Patients seen in an Alcoholism Treatment Clinic”. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 35. 660–666.Google Scholar
- Wechsler, H. and Thum, D. (1973). “Teenage Drinking, Drug Use and Social Correlates”. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 34. 1220–1227.Google Scholar
- Yalom, I.D. (1975). Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy. 2nd Edition. Basic Books, New York.Google Scholar