Participation in the Design Process: A Cognitive Approach
This dialogue, related to me by a student, constitutes an instance of participation, although not a particularly satisfying one. In the context of design problems, there are in fact many opportunities for participation, ranging from public hearings to meetings with governing boards, both public and private. Sad to say, such participatory sessions are characteristically of limited value and, at times, even counterproductive.
KeywordsFoam Arena Lost Blindness Chalk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DeGroot, A. D. Thought and choice in chess. The Hague: Mouton & Co., 1965.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, R., Kaplan, S., and Deardorff, H. L. The perception and evaluation of a simulated environment. Man—Environment Systems, 1974, 4, 191–192.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, S. Cognitive maps in perception and thought. In R. M. Downs and D. Stea (Eds.), Image and environment. Chicago: Aldine. 1973. Pp. 63–78.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, S. Adaptation, structure and knowledge. In G. T. Moore and R. G. Golledge (Eds.), Environmental knowing. Stroudsburg, Pa.: Dowden, Hutchinson & Ross, 1976.Google Scholar
- Kinsbourne, M. Cognitive deficit: Experimental analysis. In J. L. McGaugh (Ed.), Psychobiology. New York: Academic, 1971. Pp. 285–348.Google Scholar
- Peters, R. P., and Mech, L. D. Behavioral and cultural adaptations to the hunting of large animals in selected mammalian predators. In R. Tuttle (Ed.),Antecedents of man and after. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1975. Pp. 279–300.Google Scholar
- Posner, M. I. Cognition: An introduction. Glenview, Ill.: Scott, Foresman, 1973.Google Scholar
- Shepard, R. N. The form, formation, and transformation of internal representations. In R. C. Solso (Ed.), Information processing in cognition (The Loyola Symposium). Hillsdale, N.J.: Lawrence Earlbaum, 1975. Pp. 87–122.Google Scholar
- Teuber, H. L. Alterations of perception after brain injury. In J. C. Eccles (Ed.), Brain and conscious experience. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1966. Pp. 182–215.Google Scholar