Comparison of Information Structures in Decentralized Dynamic Systems
This paper deals with the optimization problems we face when operating and designing a decentralized dynamic system. The system is controlled by a set of controllers—each having different information and control variables. Data acquisition and communication mechanisms of the controllers are specified by the information structure, which plays a very important role in the system performance. Through the study of a class of linear-quadratic regulator problems, we have demonstrated the relation of the merit of a structure versus its complexity, and have discussed various concepts in designing an efficient system.
KeywordsInformation Structure Feedback Gain Observation Vector Information Device Information Pool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Radner, R., The evaluation of information in organizations. Proceedings 4th Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistical Probability. Berkeley: University of California Press (1961) 491–530.Google Scholar
- 4.Witsenhausen, H.S. A counterxample in stochastic optimal control. SIAM J. Control 6 (1968).Google Scholar
- 6.Chong, C.Y. and Athans, M. On the stochastic control of linear systems with differential information sets. IEEE Trans, on Auto. Control AC-16, no. 5 (October 1971)423–430.Google Scholar
- 7.Ho, Y.C. and Chu, K.C. Team decision theory and information structures in optimal control problem. Part I. IEEE Trans, on Auto. Control AC-17, no. 1 (February 1972) 15–21.Google Scholar
- 8.Chu, K.C. Team decision theory and information structures in optimal control problems. Part II. IEEE Trans, on Auto. Control AC-17, no. 1 (February 1972) 22–28.Google Scholar
- 11.Chong, C.Y. and Athans, M. On the periodic coordination of linear stochastic systems. Proceedings 1975 IFAC. Boston, Massachusetts (August 1975).Google Scholar
- 13.Sandell, N.R., Jr. and Athans, M. Control of finite state finite memory stochastic systems. Proceedings 1974 Princeton Conference on Information Sciences and Systems. Princeton, New Jersey (March 1974).Google Scholar
- 15.Chu, K.C. Decentralized regulation of dynamic systems. Large-scale Dynamic Systems. ed. C. F. Martin. NASA publication SP-371 (1974).Google Scholar
- 17.Linton, T.D., Fischer, D.R., Tacker, E.C. and Sanders, C.W.,Jr. Decentralized control of an interconnected electric energy system subject to information flow constraints. Proceedings of the IEEE Decision and Control Conference. San Diego, California (December 5–7, 1973 ) 728–730.Google Scholar
- 18.Chu, K.C. Optimal decentralized regulation for a string of coupled systems. IEEE Trans, on Auto. Control AC-19, no. 3 (June 1974) 243–246.Google Scholar