I first met Ann and Mark about two weeks after their daughter Heidi was born. They had brought her to the medical center (where I worked as a graduate student) from the hospital where she had been born. At birth she was slightly cyanotic and at four days of age was found to have cardiac abnormality.
KeywordsVaginal Infection Psychoanalytic Study Professional Health Worker Acute Grief Defective Child
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Solnit, A., & Stark, M. Mourning and the birth of a defective child. Psychoanalytic Study of the Child 16:523–537, 1963.Google Scholar
- 4.Solnit, A., & Stark, M. Mourning and the birth of a defective child. Psychoanalytic Study of the Child, 16, 526, 1963.Google Scholar
- 5.Olshansky, S. Chronic sorrow: A response to having a mentally defective child. Social Casework 43:191, 1962.Google Scholar
- 6.Friedman, S. B., and others. Behavioral observations on parents anticipating the death of a child. Pediatrics 32:614, Oct. 1963.Google Scholar
- 7.Rapoport, L. Working with families in crisis: An exploration in preventive intervention.Social Work 7(3):48–56, 1962.Google Scholar