Development of a Reliable, Low-Cost, Energy-Storage Capacitor for Laser Pumping
The 14.5-µF, 20-kV energy discharge capacitor developed in the 1950’s far exceeds the present needs of laser fusion research. This unit was designed to operate under conditions of large voltage reversal and high peak currents. In glass-laser systems, voltage reversal occurs only during occasional faults, and peak currents are below 1000 A. It is relevant, therefore, to pursue lower-cost, higher energy-density capacitors, which more closely fit the requirements of laser fusion research. Several companies have designed and produced prototype units that meet the cost criteria of 5 to 6¢/J and energy density of 5 to 6 kJ/unit.
KeywordsVoltage Reversal Kraft Paper Energy Storage Capacitor High Peak Current Voltage Stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. L. Kemp, Considerations in the Design of Energy Storage Capacitor Banks, Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, N. Mex., Rept. LA-2530 (June 1961).Google Scholar
- 2.G. P. Borcourt, Problems in the Design and Manufacture of Energy Storage Capacitors, Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, N. Mex., Rept. LA-142-MS (January 1970).Google Scholar
- 3.P. Hoffman and J. Ferrante, “Energy Storage Capacitors of High Energy Density,” IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. NS-18(4), 235Google Scholar
- 4.J. R. Hutzler et al, “Reliable Capacitors for Tarr Energy Storage Facilities,” Proc. Symp. Eng. Problems Fusion Res., 5th, Princeton, November 1973(IEEE Pub. No. 73CH0843–3NPS).Google Scholar
- 5.E. L. Kemp, “The Study of Capacitive Energy Storage for a Theta-Pinch PTR Compression Coil,” in Proc. Symp. Eng. Problems Fusion Res., 5th, Princeton, November 1973 (IEEE Pub. No. 73CH0843–3NPS).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Brotherton, Capacitors, Their Use in Electronic Circuits(D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc., N. J., 1946 ), p. 49Google Scholar
- 7.M. Brotherton, Capacitors, Their Use in Electronic Circuits(D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc., N. J., 1946 ), p. 48.Google Scholar
- 8.Capacitors, Selection and Use of,“ in MIL-STD-198C(December 1971), p. 11.Google Scholar
- 9.M. P. Young et al, “Procurement and Testing of Capacitors for Large Energy Storage Facilities,” J. NRL Prog. ( September 1973 ), p. 72.Google Scholar