Martensite Formation as a Deformation Process in Polycrystalline Copper-Zinc Based Alloys
The crystallography of the stress-induced martensite formation in single crystals is easy accessible, both from the theory and the experiments. Some interesting results as the critical resolved stress necessary for the onset of the martensite formation (1) and the orientation of the martensite obtained by unaxial stress (1,2) have already been reported. The martensite formation in polycrystalline material is easily observed while stressing the β-phase, but a complete explanation of the microstructure thus obtained is rather difficult. The aim of the present work is to collect and classify the various modes of stress-induced martensite formation and to study the influence of the presence of the ß-grain boundaries on the martensite plate arrangements.
KeywordsHabit Plane Martensite Plate Martensite Formation Macroscopic Shear Invariant Plane Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.L. Delaey and H. Warlimont, Proceedings of the Int. Symp. on SME, 1975, this volume.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Delaey, R.V. Krishnan, H. Tas and H. Warlimont, J. of Mat. Science, 1974, vol. 9, p. 1521, 1536 and 1545.Google Scholar
- 7.L. Delaey, G. Hummel and J. Thienel, Encyclopaedia Cinematographica, Ed. G. Wolf, Göttingen, to be published Wihter 1975.Google Scholar
- 8.H. Warlimont and L. Delaey, Progress in Mat. Science, 1974, vol. 18, p. 1–157.Google Scholar
- 9.L. Delaey and J. Thienel, Proceedings of the Int. Symp. on SME, 1975, this volume.Google Scholar
- 10.L. Delaey, H. Tas and A.Q. Khan, ASM-Seminar on copper, ASM-publi. 1972, 062/2.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Tas, L. Delaey and A. Deruyttere, Z. far Metallk., 1973, vol. 64, p. 855 and 862.Google Scholar
- 14.Y.C. Liu, Trans. AIME, 1963, vol. 227, p. 775.Google Scholar
- 15.R. Rapacioli, H. Chandrasekaran and L. Delaey, Proceedings of the Int. Symp. on SME, 1975, this volume.Google Scholar