The High Frequency Tail of the Lattice Absorption Spectra of Simple Crystals
The absorption coefficient in the pretransparent regime (10.0>α>0.1 cm− 1) has been measured for several alkali halides as functions of temperature extending up to their melting points. The frequency dependence of the absorption coefficient is calculated by means of a breathing shell model using multiphonon density of states. The temperature dependence of the absorption coefficient is explained in terms of a temperature dependent effective phonon frequency.
KeywordsInfrared Absorption Phonon Frequency Alkali Halide Phonon Density Transparent Regime
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. J. Barker, J. Phys. E, to be published.Google Scholar
- 3.A. J. Barker, Ph.D. Thesis, University of London, London, U.K., 1972.Google Scholar
- 4.L. Genzel, Glastech Ber 24, 5563 (1951).Google Scholar
- B. Bendow, S. C. Ying and S. P. Yukon, Phys. Rev. B8, 679 (1973)Google Scholar
- 7.K. V. Namjoshi, S. S. Mitra and J. F. Vetelino, in Phonons, edited by M. A. Nusimovici, Flammarion, Paris, 1971, pp. 79–83.Google Scholar
- 10.S. S. Mitra, in Optical Properties of Solids, edited by S. Nudelman and S. S. Mitra, Plenum Press, New York, 1969, p. 389.Google Scholar