Theory of Multiphonon Absorption: A Review
The theories of multiphonon absorption in ionic insulators for frequencies several times the reststrahl frequency are reviewed. The physical properties of the solid, anharmonic potential and nonlinear dipole moment, which are responsible for multiphonon absorption are discussed. The rather large number of theoretical calculations are classified with an attempt to highlight simularities and basic differences between the theoretical techniques used and the physics contained in or implied by the calculations. Finally, a result connecting the analyticity of the potential and dipole moment operator, and the behavior of ε2(ω) at high frequencies is presented.
KeywordsDipole Moment Molecular Model Morse Potential Alkali Halide Vertex Correction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. F. Deutsch, J. Phys. Chem. Solids 34, 2091 (1973); and the references contained therein.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Bilz, Phonons in Perfect Lattice and Lattices with Point Imperfections (edited by R. W. H. Stevenson, Oliver and Boyd, London, 1966 ) pp 211–220.Google Scholar
- 5.L. Van Hove, N. M. Hugenholtz, and L. P. Howland, Quantum Theory of Many Particle Systems (W. A. Benjamin, New York, 1961 ) pp 5–101.Google Scholar
- 7.T. C. McGill, R. W. Hellwarth, M. Mangir,and H. V. Winston, J. Phys. Chem. Solids 34, 2105 (1973); and T. C. McGill, unpublished.Google Scholar
- 8.K. V. Namjoshi and S. S. Mitra, Phys. Rev. B9, 815 (1974); and Solid State Communications 15, 317 (1974). TGoogle Scholar
- 11.L. L. Boyer, J. A. Harrington, M. Hass, and H. B. Rosenstock, Phys. Rev. B (to be published).Google Scholar
- 15.R. L. Matcha, J. Chem. Phys. 47, 4595 (1967); 47, 5295 (1967); 48, 335 (1968), 49, 1264 (196; and T. C. McGil), unpublished.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Sparks and L. J. Sham, Phys. Rev. B8, 3037 (1973), and M. Sparks, Xonics, Inc. Final Report 1972, under Contract No. DAH 615–72-C-0129 (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 18.B. Bendow, Appl. Phys. Letters 23, 133 (1973).Google Scholar
- 23.R. Hellwarth and M. Mangir, private communication.Google Scholar
- 24.P. C. Martin, in Probleme A N Corps; Many Body Physics (edited by C. DeWitt and R. Balian; Gordon and Breach, London, 1968) pp. 37ff.Google Scholar
- 26.T. C. McGill and M. Chen, unpublished.Google Scholar