Relationships among the Malagasy Lemurs
It has been very pertinently remarked by Charles-Dominique and Martin (1970) that comparisons of the Malagasy prosimians with other primates have generally been restricted to Lemur, or, more rarely, to other members of Lemurinae. Lemur has, in fact, become the stereotype of the group which, for no better reason than its restriction to Madagascar, has been regarded as the result of a single adaptive radiation; this supposition has, in turn, apparently discouraged the performance of an overall comparative analysis of the lemurs. Even those recent publications (e.g., Charles-Dominique and Martin, 1970; Tattersall, 1973a,b), which have hinted that the lemurs might form a less homogeneous group than traditionally supposed, have done little more than merely to make the suggestion.
KeywordsSister Group Neural Crest Cell Mandibular Angle Facial Skeleton Medial Orbital Wall
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Butler, P. M. 1939. Studies of the mammalian dentition. Differentiation of the post-canine dentition. Proc. Zool. Soc. London, Ser. B109:1–36.Google Scholar
- Butler, P. M. 1963. Tooth morphology and primate evolution, pp. 1–14. In D. Brothwell, ed., Dental Anthropology. Pergamon Press, London.Google Scholar
- Clark, W. E. LeGros. 1971. The Antecedents of Man, 3rd ed. Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- Hennig, W. 1966. Phylogenetic Systematics. University of Illinois Press, Urbana.Google Scholar
- Kollman, M. 1925. Etudes sur les lemuriens: la fosse orbito-temporale et l’os planum. Mem. Soc. Linn. Normandie (Zool.), N.S. 1:3–20.Google Scholar
- Tattersall, I. 1973d. Cranial anatomy of Archaeolemurinae (Lemuroidea: Primates). Anthropol. Pap. Am. Mus. Nat. Hist.52(1): 1–110.Google Scholar
- Tattersall, I. 1973b. Subfossil lemurs and the “adaptive radiation” of the Malagasy lemurs. Trans. N.Y. Acad. Sci., Ser. II35:314–324.Google Scholar
- Tattersall, I., and J. H. Schwartz. 1974. Craniodental morphology and the systematics of the Malagasy lemurs (Primates: Prosimii). Anthropol. Pap. Am. Mus. Nat. Hist.52:(3): 139–192.Google Scholar
- West, R. M. 1972. Upper deciduous dentition of the Oligocene insectivore Leptictis (= Ictops) acutidens. Ann. Carnegie Mus. 44:25–44.Google Scholar