Error in The Reconstruction of Evolutionary Trees
Reconstruction of the evolutionary history of organisms in the form of phylogenetic trees has been popular since Darwin’s time. In the last decades, some work has been devoted to trying to put these methods on a quantitative basis. Sometimes these methods are applied to the reconstruction of the differentiation between species; only fission processes are involved here, in agreement with the definition of a species. At other times, these methods have been concerned with the reconstruction of the differentiation within species; migration and exchange of genes is at least potentially possible here, and a complete description should attempt to consider episodes of fusion as veil as fission. The methods with which we have been concerned are applicable to gene frequency data (CAVALLI-SFORZA and EDWARDS 1967, KIDD and SGARAMELLA-ZONTA 1971). These methods consider within-species differentiation and so far are applicable only to fission processes. This has always been recognized as a limitation.
KeywordsEvolutionary Tree Segment Length Correct Tree Minimum Path True Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CAVALLI-SFORZA, L. L. and A. W. F. EDWARDS. 1964. Analysis of human evolution. Genetics Today, Proceedings of the XI International Congress of Genetics 3:923–933.Google Scholar
- COON, C. S. 1965. The Living Races of Man, Knopf, New York.Google Scholar
- EDWARDS, A. W. F. 1969. Genetic Taxonomy. In ComputerApplications in Genetics, edited by N. E. Mortn, pp. 140–142, University of Hawaii Press, Honolulu.Google Scholar
- EDWARDS, A. W. F. 1970. Estimation of the branch points of a branching diffusion process. J. Roy. Stat. Soc. B. 32:155–164.Google Scholar
- EDWARDS, A. W. F. 1971. Mathematical approaches to the study of human evolution. In Mathematics in the Archaeological and Historical Sciences, edited by F. R. Hodson, D. G. Kendall and P. Tautu, pp. 347–355, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- KIDD, K. K. 1973. Genetic approaches to human evolution. In Atti del Colloquio Internationale sul Tema: L’Origine dell’Uomo, pp. 149–174, Accadenia Nazionale dei Lincei, Rome.Google Scholar
- KIDD, K. K. and L. L. CAVALLI-SFORZA. 1971. Number of characters examined and error in reconstruction of evolutionary trees. In Mathematics in the Archaeological and Historical Sciences, edited by F. R. Hodson, D. G. Kendall and P. Tautu, pp. 335–346, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- KIDD, K. K. and L. A. SGARAMELLA-ZONTA. 1972. Relationships of domestic cattle breeds. In Proa. XIIth International Conference on Animal Blood Groups and Biochemical Polymorphisms (Budapest, 1970), pp. 241–244, Akademiai Kiado, Budapest.Google Scholar
- MORTON, N. E. 1974. Bioassay of Kinship, this volume.Google Scholar