Mapping of Point Mutations on the Physical Map of Coliphage Lambda: Absence of Clustering for Odd-Numbered Exchanges
One of the classic problems of genetics concerns the relationship between the genetic map, measured in recombination frequency units, and the physical map, measured in nucleotide pairs along a DNA molecule. For Escherichia coli bacteriophage λ the gross correlation between the genetic and physical maps was discussed by Campbell (1971), Davidson and Szybalski (1971) and Signer (1971). In the present study we undertook to analyze recombination very precisely and quantitatively within a short segment of the λ genome in the so-called immunity region. The advantage of this region is the availability of many point mutations and deletions, studied intensively by earlier authors (see e.g., Kaiser, 1957; Kayajanian, 1968, 1970; Lieb, 1966; Gussin et al., 1973), and of a precise physical map (Fiandt and Szybalski, 1973; Blattner et al., 1972, 1974). The position of mutations can be established by several methods, including calculations based on recombination frequency between point mutations, the techniques of deletion mapping, and the present method of extrapolation mapping. This work is an extension of our earlier and current mapping of the p L mutant sexl (Blattner et al., 1972, 1974), and was summarized by Blattner and Borel (1973).
KeywordsCold Spring Harbor Laboratory Double Exchange Bacteriophage Lambda Nucleotide Pair Double Crossover
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blattner, F. and J. Borel. 1973. High negative interference in bacteriophage λ: absence of multiple odd exchanges. Abstract for Symposium on Genetic Recombination, p. 44. Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Nutley, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Blattner, F. R. and J. D. Borel. 1974. Recombination in bacteriophage lambda — absence of correlated triple exchanges; a method for mapping point mutations on the physical map. J. Mol. Biol., submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Blattner, F. R., M. Fiandt, K. K. Hass, P. A. Twose and W. Szybalski. 1974. Deletions and insertions in the immunity region of coliphage lambda: revised measurements of the promoter-start-point distance. Virology, in press.Google Scholar
- Campbell, A. 1971. Genetic structure. In (A. D. Hershey, ed.) The Bacteriophage Lambda. p. 13. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York.Google Scholar
- Davidson, N. and W. Szybalski. 1971. Physical and chemical characteristics of lambda DNA. In (A. D. Hersehy, ed.) The Bacteriophage lambda. p. 45. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York.Google Scholar
- Fiandt, M. and W. Szybalski. 1973. Electron microscopy of the immunity region in coliphage lambda. Abst. Ann. Meet. Amer. Soc. Microbiol., p. 218.Google Scholar
- Signer, E. 1971. General recombination. In (A. D. Hershey, ed.) The Bacteriophage Lambda, p. 139. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York.Google Scholar
- Szybalski, W. 1972. Transcription and replication in E. coli bacteriophage lambda. In (L. Ledoux, ed.) Uptake of Informative Molecules by Living Cells, p. 59. North-Holland Publ. Co., Amsterdam.Google Scholar