Genic Control of Meiosis and Some Observations on the Synaptonemal Complex in Drosophila melanogaster
Beginning with the work of Sandler et al. (1968) and Lindsley et al. (1968), a systematic attack on the genie control of meiosis in Drosophila melanogaster has been undertaken. Several successful screens for mutants that disrupt meiosis (meiotic mutants) have been reported (Sandler et al., 1968; Sandler, 1971; Baker and Carpenter, 1972); to date, the term “meiotic mutant” has been operationally restricted to those mutants that disrupt genetically detectable parameters of chromosome behavior (e.g. disjunction and recombination). The effects of many of these, as well as previously known meiotic mutants, have been examined in detail (D. G. Davis, 1969; Robbins, 1971; B. K. Davis, 1971; Hall, 1972; Carpenter, 1973; Parry, 1973; Carpenter and Sandler, 1974; reviewed by Baker and Hall, 1974). There are at this time at least 40 loci whose wild-type alleles are necessary to ensure a normal meiosis in Drosophila males or females (Sandler and Lindsley, 1974).
KeywordsGenic Control Synaptonemal Complex Lateral Element Chromosome Behavior Euchromatic Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baker, B. S. and J. C. Hall. 1974. Meiotic mutants: genic control of meiotic recombination and chromosome segregation. In (E. Novitski and M. Ashburner, eds.) Genetics and Biology of Drosophila I. Academic Press, New York. In press.Google Scholar
- Carpenter, A. T. C. and L. Sandler. 1974. On recombination-defective meiotic mutants in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics in press.Google Scholar
- King, R. C. 1970. Ovarian Development in Drosophila melanogaster. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Lefevre, G., Jr. 1971. Salivary chromosome bands and the frequency of crossing-over in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 61 : 497.Google Scholar
- Lindsley, D. L., L. Sandler, B. Nicoletti and G. Trippa. 1968. Genetic control of recombination in Drosophila. In (W. J. Peacock and R. D. Brock, eds.) Replication and Recombination of Genetic Material. pp. 253–267. Australian Acad. Sci., Canberra.Google Scholar
- Sandler, L. 1971. Induction of autosomal meiotic mutants by EMS in D. melanogaster. Drosophila Inf. Serv. 47: 68.Google Scholar
- Sandler, L. and D. L. Lindsley. 1974. Some observations on the study of the genetic control of meiosis in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. XIII Int. Congr. Genet. in press.Google Scholar