Exchange of Parental DNA during Genetic Recombination in Bacteriophage φX174
Two-factor crosses were performed between am mutants of φX174 in which one or both of the single-stranded parental bacteriophages were labeled with heavy isotopes. Recombinants were formed that contained DNA from each of the two parental phages and were composed almost entirely of parental RF DNA. A small amount of the parental-strand DNA (less than 700 nucleotides on the average) was removed and replaced during the formation of a recombinant molecule.
KeywordsHeavy Isotope Genetic Recombination Recombinant Formation Strand Bias Recombinant Molecule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benbow, R. M. 1972. On the genetic recombination of bacteriophage φX174 DNA molecules. Ph.D. Thesis, California Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Benbow, R. M., R. Devoret and P. Howard-Flanders. 1973. Indirect ultraviolet induction and curing in E. coli cells lysogenic for bacteriophage A. Molec. Gen. Genet. 120: 355.Google Scholar
- Benbow, R. M., R. F. Mayol, J. C. Picchi and R. L. Sinsheimer. 1972b. Direction of translation and size of bacteriophage φX174 cistrons. J. Virol. 10: 99.Google Scholar
- Benbow, R. M., A. J. Zuccarelli, G. C. Davis and R. L. Sinsheimer. 1974a. Genetic recombination in bacteriophage φX174. J. Virol. in press.Google Scholar
- Benbow, R. M., A. J. Zuccarelli and R. L. Sinsheimer. 1974b. Recombinant DNA molecules of bacteriophage φX174. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. in press.Google Scholar
- Benbow, R.M., A. J. Zuccarelli and R. L. Sinsheimer. 1974c. An aggressive role for single-strand “breaks” in bacteriophage φX174 genetic recombination. J. Mol. Biol, in press.Google Scholar
- Davis, R. W., M. N. Simon and N. Davidson. 1971. Electron microscope heteroduplex methods for mapping regions of base sequence homology in nucleic acids. In (L. Grossman and K. Moldave, eds.) Methods in Enzymology, Vol. XXI, part D, pp. 413–428. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Meselson, M. 1962. Genetic recombination at the molecular level. Pontif. Acad. Sci. Scr. Varia 22: 173.Google Scholar
- Meselson, M. 1967. The molecular basis of genetic recombination. In (R. A. Brink, ed.) Heritage from Mendel, pp. 81–104. Univ. of Wisconsin Press, Madison.Google Scholar
- Zuccarelli, A. J., R. M. Benbow and R. L. Sinsheimer. 1974. Synthesis of the first complementary strand of φX174. J. Mol. Biol. in press.Google Scholar