The Anatomy of a Peripatetic Child Psychiatry Researcher
As I understand my assignment, it is to answer two questions: (1) How did you get to be a researcher in child psychiatry? (2) What was behind the actual research studies? I accepted it because it offered the rare opportunity to look back and see how I got here and to give credits where they belong, particularly as there have been so many important influences along the way. It is a process that creates humility and a debt of gratitude, payable only by passing on what I have learned.
KeywordsHead Start Child Psychiatry Comic Book Rhythmic Pattern Disadvantaged Child
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abramson, D., Margolin, S., and Lourie, R. Experimental extrasytoles in the cat. Heart, 1936, 110, 76–81.Google Scholar
- Bender, L., and Lourie, R. Effect of comic books on the ideology of children. Am. J. Orthopsychiatry, 1941, 11, 54–65.Google Scholar
- Crisis in child mental health: challenge for the 1970’s. Report of the Joint Commission on the Mental Health of Children New York: Harper and Row, 1970.Google Scholar
- Crothers, B. A. The pediatrician in search of mental hygiene. New York: Commonwealth Fund, 1937.Google Scholar
- Layman, E. M., Milligan, F. K., Lourie, R. S, and Takahashi, L. Y. Cultural influence and symptom choice: Etiology of pica. Psychol. Rev, 1965, 13, 249–257.Google Scholar
- Lourie, R. Autonomic nervous system function in children. AMA J. Dis. Child, 1943, 65, 455–470.Google Scholar
- Lourie, R. Psychosomatic problems in infants, in Problems of communication. New York: Grune and Stratton, 1955.Google Scholar
- Lourie, R., Layman, E. M., and Milligan, F. K. Why children eat things that are not food. Children, 1963, 10, 143–146.Google Scholar
- Marans, A., and Lourie, R. Hypotheses regarding the effects of child rearing patterns on the disadvantaged child. In J. Hellmuth (ed.), The disadvantaged child (Vol. 1 ). Seattle: Special Child Publications, 1961.Google Scholar
- Murphy, L. A vulnerability inventory. In: C. Chandler, R. Lourie, and A. Peters (eds.), Early child care: the new perspectives. New York: Atherton Press, 1968.Google Scholar
- Pavenstedt, E., and Malone, C. The drifters. New York: International University Press, 1971.Google Scholar