The Methods of Science and the Origins of Life
Oparin brought the study of the origins of life into the domain of reasonable scientific enquiry. He showed protobiology to be thinkable in historical terms, that one can lay out a sensible set of alternatives and connect them with astronomical, chemical and biological ideas. Thus Oparin created a subject, not by solving its central problem, but by showing us that this problem could be solved and suggesting more or less where to look for a solution.
KeywordsEvolutionary Biochemistry Life System Historical Term Biochemical Substance Abiotic Synthesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Oparin, A. I., “The Origin of Life on the Earth,” 3rd ed., Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh and London, 1957.Google Scholar
- 2.Oparin, A. I., Proiskhozdenie zhizny, Izd, Moskoski Rabochii, Moscow, 1924. Reprinted in English in Bernal, J. D., “The Origin of Life,” pp. 199–234, Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London, 1967.Google Scholar
- 3.Russell, B., “A History of Western Philosophy,” Chaps. 2, 4 and 6 on “The Milesian School,” “Heraclitus,” and “Empedocles” Allen and Unwin, London, 1946.Google Scholar
- 4.Toulmin, S. and Goodfield, J., “The Fabric of the Heavens,” Chap. I, Hutchinson, London, 1961.Google Scholar
- 7.Orgel, L. E., “The Origins of Life: Molecules and Natural Selection,” Chapman and Hall, London, 1973.Google Scholar
- 10.Studier, M., in: “Extraterrestrial Matter” ( Randall, C. A., ed.), p. 25, Northern Illinois University Press, Illinois, 1969.Google Scholar
- 11.Cairns-Smith, A. G., Origins of Life, in press.Google Scholar
- 12.Cairns-Smith, A. G., and Walker, G. L., BioSystems, in press.Google Scholar
- 14.Cairns-Smith, A. G., “The Life Puzzle,” Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, 1971.Google Scholar
- 15.Weiss, A., paper presented at the Fourth International Conference on the Origin of Life, Barcelona, June 1973.Google Scholar
- 16.Hesse, M. B., “Forces and Fields,” Nelson, London, 1961.Google Scholar
- 17.Hesse, M. B., “Models and Analogies in Science,” University of Notre Dame Press, Notre Dame, Indiana, 1966.Google Scholar