Collagen as a Carrier for Enzymes: Materials Science and Process Engineering Aspects of Enzyme Engineering
During the last fifty years a wealth of information has been accumulated concerning the structure and function of enzymes. Although we are probably still far from achieving a total understanding of the way enzymes act on a molecular level, we certainly have sufficient knowledge to begin designing large scale processes that capitalize on the unique properties of these biological catalysts. This is especially true for the relatively simple extracellular hydrolytic enzymes.
KeywordsImmobilize Enzyme Mass Transfer Coefficient Stable Limit Free Enzyme Collagen Membrane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowes, J. H. and R. H. Kenten (1948). Biochem. J.43, 369.Google Scholar
- Davidson, В., Vieth, W. R., Wang, S. S. and S. Zwiebel (1973). Paper No. 17a, Sixty-Sixth Annual Meeting, AICh.E., Philadelphia, Pa., November 15.Google Scholar
- Eskamani, A. (1972). Characterization of Lactase Immobilized on Collagen, Ph.D. Dissertation, Dept. of Food Science, Rutgers University, August.Google Scholar
- Fernandes, P. M., Constantanides, A., Vieth, W. R. and D. Mody (1973). Chem. Engg. Sci. (in press).Google Scholar
- Hochstadt, H. R., Park, F. and E. R. Lieberman (1960). U.S. Patent No. 2,920,000.Google Scholar
- Hodge, A. J. and J. A. Petruska (1963). In Aspects of Protein Structure, G. N. Ramachandran, Ed., Academic Press, N.Y., 289.Google Scholar
- Lehninger, A. L. (1970). Biochemistry, Worth Publishers, Inc., New York, 115.Google Scholar
- Ramachandran, G. N. (1963). In Aspects of Protein Structure, G. N. Ramachandran, Ed., Academic Press, N.Y., 39.Google Scholar
- Rubin, A. L. and K. H. Stengel (1969). In Biomaterials, L. Stark and G. Agarwal, Eds., Plenum Press, N.Y., 157.Google Scholar
- Venkatasubramanian, K., Bernath, F. and W. R. Vieth (1973). “The Use of Collagen-Immobilized Enzymes in Blood Treatment,” Enzyme Engineering Conference, Henniker, N.H., August 10, (in press).Google Scholar
- Venkatasubramanian, K., Vieth, W. R. and S. S. Wang (1972). J. Ferm. Tech.50, 600.Google Scholar
- Woessner, J. F., Jr. (1968). In Treatise on Collagen 2B, B. S. Gould, Ed., Academic Press, N.Y., 253.Google Scholar