Heavy Ion-Induced Void Formation in Pure Nickel
The void structure in pure nickel induced by irradiation with 12C+, 20Ne+, 35Cl+, and 58Ni+ is being investigated as a function of temperature and dose using a dose rate of 2.5 × 10-3 dpa/sec at a preselected depth of 6700 A. The dose dependence of swelling to 60 dpa, and the temperature dependence at 10 dpa between 500 and 700°C for self-ion irradiations, are in substantial agreement with previous studies. The peak swelling was observed in a 600°C irradiation in which the number density was 2 × 1015/cm3, the mean size was 280 A and the total volume fraction was 3%. As a function of temperature, the mean void size increased by 2.5, and the number density decreased an order of magnitude. Preinjection of He did not influence the total swelling. Asymmetry in the thickness of the void-denuded layers across grain boundaries was directly correlated with grain-boundary motion during the irradiation. Preliminary data for 12C+ irradiation at these temperatures indicates that the peak swelling temperature occurs at least 25°C lower than for self-ion irradiations.
KeywordsDisplacement Rate Void Nucleation Pure Nickel Void Volume Fraction Void Size
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Radiation-Induced Voids in Metals, AEC Symposium Series 26 (1972).Google Scholar
- 4.D. K. Brice, RASE 3 and DAMG 2, Routines for Ion Implantation Calculations, Sandia Laboratory Report, SLA-73–0410 (April 1973).Google Scholar
- 5.G. L. Kulcinski, J. L. Brimhall, and H. E. Kissinger, Ref. 2, p. 449.Google Scholar
- 6.L. LeNaour and N. Azam, Conf. of the Soc. of Electron Microscopy, Nantes, May 1972.Google Scholar
- 7.J. A. Sprague and F. A. Smidt, NRL Dept. #2555, p. 25.Google Scholar
- 8.R. S. Nelson, J. A. Hudson, D. J. Masey, T. P. Walters, T. M. Williams, Ref. 2, p. 430.Google Scholar
- 9.W. G. Johnston, J. H. Rosolowski, A. M. Takalo, and T. Lauritzen, Proc. Sixth ASTM Intern. Symp. on Effects of Radiation on Structural Materials (Los Angeles), 1972.Google Scholar
- 10.S. G. MacDonald and A. Taylor, Proc. Sixth ASTM Intern. Symp. on Effects of Radiation on Structural Materials (Los Angeles), 1972.Google Scholar