The Location of Displaced Manganese and Silver Atoms in Irradiated Aluminum Crystals by Backscattering
By measuring the energy spectra of backscattered 1 MeV He+ ions from Al-0.09 at.% Mn and Al-0.08 at.% Ag crystals, it was found that substitutional Mn and Ag atoms were displaced from lattice sites by irradiation with 0.3–1.0 MeV He+ ions at 35°-70°K. From detailed channeling and annealing results, it was demonstrated that the Mn and Ag atoms were displaced by trapping irradiation-induced interstitial Al atoms, forming Al-Mn and Al-Ag atom pairs in the <100> dumbbell configuration.
KeywordsImpurity Atom Minimum Yield Free Interstitial Displace Atom Good Single Crystal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Bøgh, in “Interaction of Radiation with Solids” (Ed. A. Bishop) Plenum Press, New York, 1967, p. 361.Google Scholar
- 2.L. Eriksson, J.A. Davies, J. Denhartog, H.-J. Matzke and J.L. Whitton, Can. Nucl. Tech. 5, 40 (1966).Google Scholar
- 3.J.W. Mayer, L. Eriksson, J.A. Davies, “Ion Implantation in Semiconductors”, Ch. 4, Academic Press, New York (1970).Google Scholar
- 4.J.A. Davies in “Channeling in Solids:” Ch. 11 (Ed. D.V. Morgan) John Wiley and Sons, New York (1973).Google Scholar
- 11.A.C. Damask and G.J. Dienes, “Point Defects in Metals”, Gordon and Breach, New York 1963.Google Scholar
- 13.C. Dimitrov-Frois and O. Dimitrov, Mem. Sci. Rev. Met. 65, 425 (1968);Google Scholar
- 13a.C. Dimitrov-Frois and O. Dimitrov, C.R. Acad. Sc. Paris 266, 304 (1968).Google Scholar
- 14.A. Sosin in “Lattice Defects and Their Interactions” (Ed. R.R. Hasiguti), Gordon and Breach, New York, 1967 (p. 235).Google Scholar
- 16.W. Schilling, G. Burger, K. Isebeck and H. Wenzlin. “Vacancies and Interstitials in Metals” (Eds. A Seeger, D. Schumacher, W. Schilling, J. Diehl), North-Holland, Amsterdam 1970 (p. 255).Google Scholar
- 19.H.J. Wollenberger in “Vacancies and Interstitials in Metals” (Eds. A. Seeger, D. Schumacher, W. Schilling, J. Diehl), North-Holland, Amsterdam 1970 (p. 215).Google Scholar