The Influence of Ion Bombardment on the Corrosion of Metals
This paper presents the results of a preliminary investigation of the possibility of altering the surface corrosion of metals by ion implantation. Polycrystalline samples of Cu, Al and Fe were implanted with high fluences (>1016 ions.cm-2) of 40 KeV ions of Ar+, Al+, B+, Fe+ or Mo+. The samples were examined visually, after irradiation treatment and following long periods of atmospheric exposure or accelerated salt-spray cabinet immersions. These observations showed that, (for copper) at the lower fluences of Ar+ and B+ used, similar tarnishing occured as with the unbombarded samples whereas at the higher fluences, surfaces retained their high degree of poliah. Salt-spray tests with Fe samples also showed a reduced tendency for rusting following high fluence A+ implants. Potentiostatic measurements of passivation and corrosion currents for implanted samples immersed in suitable electrolytes were also measured. High fluence implantations into Cu produced some variation in the polarisation curves whilst for the Al samples a large increase in the passive region of the V/I characteristic was obtained. Since similar effects were observed with most of the implant species employed, it is suggested that the measured effects are due to changes in para-surface defect structures.
KeywordsOxide Film Polarization Curve Cathodic Polarization Sulphate Solution Pourbaix Diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Proceedings of 2nd International Conf. on Ion Implantation in Semiconductors, Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1971).Google Scholar
- M. W. Thompson, Proceedings of European Conf. on Ion Implantation, Reading, 1970, Peter Peregrinus, London (1971).Google Scholar
- H. M. Naguib, Ph.D. Thesis, McMaster University, Canada (1971).Google Scholar
- J. Trillat and P. Hayman, p. 25, Le Bombardement lonique, CNRS Report, Paris 1962.Google Scholar
- W. Moore and R. Logan, p. 35, Le Bombardement lonique, CNRS Report, Paris 1962.Google Scholar
- B. L. Crowder and S. I. Tan, IBM Tech. Disclosure Bull., Vol. 14, June 1971.Google Scholar
- H. H. Uhlig, Corrosion and Corrosion Control, John Wiley and Sons, 1971.Google Scholar
- M. Pourbaix, N. de Zoubov and J. V. Muylder, Atlas d’Equilibres Electrochimiques, Gauthier-Villars et Cie, Paris (1963).Google Scholar