Ranges and Distributions of Ions Implanted in Dielectrics
The projected range and range straggling of Zn, Ga, As, Se, Ce, and Te implanted in SiO2, Si3N3, and Al2O3 at energies between 150 and 300+keV were measured by backscattering techniques with 2.0 MeV He ions. The range distributions were measured relative to the thickness of the dielectric films by an analytical method which is insensitive to errors in the stopping power of He ions in dielectrics. The projected ranges, pp in LSS normalized units, as a function of LSS normalized energy, ε, followed the relationship p=2.7ε where the arithmetic average atomic number of the target M2=20, average atomic number Z2=20 and average mass number Z2=20 were used for all three dielectrics. The projected range values were systematically greater than LSS calculations by ratios of 1.2 to 1.5. Heat treatment of 900°C after implantation produced a movement of Zn, Ga, and Cd in SiO2 toward the surface. This motion was shown to be associated with radiation damage in SiO2. No motion was detected for other species in SiO2, nor for any of the implanted species in Si3N4 and A1203 for anneal temperatures up to 1000°C for 30 minutes.
KeywordsEnergy Width Dielectric Film Projected Range Average Atomic Number Stop Cross Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. C. Volod’ko, E. I. Zorin, P. V. Pavlov and D. I. Tetel’Gaum, Soviet Phys. — Solid State 10, 828 (1968).Google Scholar
- 3.W. S. Johnson and J. F. Gibbons, “Projected Range Statistics in Semiconductors Distributed” by Stanford University Bookstore, 1969.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Lindhard, M. Scharff and H. E. Schlott, Mat. Fys. Medd. Dan. Vid. Selsk 33, No. 14 (1963).Google Scholar
- 5.K. B. Winterbon in “Atomic Collision in Solid VI” edited by S. Andersen, K. Bjorkqvist, K. Domeij and N. G. E. Johannson, Gordon and Breach Science publisher Ltd., London (1972) p. 429.Google Scholar
- 7.K. B. Winterbon, P. Sigmund and J. B. Sanders, Kgl. Danske Videnskab, Selskab, Mat.-Fys. Medd. 37, No. 14.Google Scholar
- 8.H. E. Schiøitt in “Ion Implantation” edited by Eisen and Chadderson, Thousand Oaks, Calif. (1970), pp 197.Google Scholar
- 14.C. J. Kircher, J. W. Mayer, K. N. Tu and J. F. Ziegler, Appl. Phys. Lett, (to be published).Google Scholar
- 16.K. O. Nielsen, Electromagnetically Enriched Isotopes and Mass Spectroscopy, Academic Press, New York, p. 68 (1956).Google Scholar
- 17.W. K. Chu, B. L. Crowder, J. W. Mayer, and J. F. Ziegler (to be published).Google Scholar
- 18.N. Bohr Kgl. Danske Videnskab. Selskab, Mat. Fys. Medd. 18, No. 8 (1948).Google Scholar