Pharmacogenetics: Single Gene Effects
Dr. Vesell and I have been asked to review some principles of pharmacogenetics that relate to the pharmacokinetic theme of this conference. We have divided the topic: Dr. Vesell will discuss multiple gene effects and their implications, and I will mention some single gene effects which can modify drug metabolism and drug response in man. We both are studying the way genetic factors account for rather remarkable person-to-person differences in drug responses and pharmacodynamics, and we hope that pharmacokinetic models will be designed that will take into account these genetically determined individual differences.
KeywordsAdverse Drug Reaction Acid Phosphatase Heterozygous Carrier Slow Acetylators Choline Ester
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Armstrong, A. R., and Peart, H. E., 1960, Am. Rev. Respirat. Diseases 81: 588.Google Scholar
- Evans, K. A. P., Davison, K., and Pratt, R. T. C., 1965, Clin. Pharmacol. Therap. 6: 430.Google Scholar
- Harris, H., Hopkinson, D. A., Luffman, J. E., and Rapley, S., 1968, In Hereditary Disorders of Erythrocyte Metabolism (E. Beutler, ed.), Grune and Stratton, New York.Google Scholar
- Harris, H., 1970, The Principles of Human Biochemical Genetics, London. Amsterdam-North Holland Publishing Co.Google Scholar
- Hearse, D. J., Szabadi, R., and Weber, W. W., 1970, Pharmacologist 12: 274.Google Scholar
- Hearse, D. J., and Weber, W. W., 1970, Fed. Proc. 29: 803.Google Scholar
- Hopkinson, D. A. and Harris, H., 1969, in: Biochemical Methods in Red Cell Genetics (G. Yunis, ed.), Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, R. S., Bell, J. C. and Riemensnider, D. K., 1960, 19th Conf. Chemother. Tuberc. Trans. 19: Veterans Admin., Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Motulsky, A. G., 1964, in: Progress in Medical Genetics (Steinberg, A. G., and Beam, A. G., eds.), Grune and Stratton, New York.Google Scholar
- Perry, H. M., Jr., Sakamoto, A., and Tan, E. M., 1967, J. Lab. Clin. Med. 70: 1020.Google Scholar
- Weber, W. W., 1973, Acetylation of Drugs in Metabolic Conjugation and Metabolic Hydrolysis, Vol. III (W. H. Fishman, ed.), Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar