Luminescence of ZnTe and Its Modulation by Infrared Radiation
Measurements of reflectivity, photoluminescence and cathodoluminescence for various electron beam voltages were performed on p-type single crystals at liquid nitrogen, hydrogen and helium temperatures. By an application of the microreversibility principle and consideration of the reflectivity data, the nature and the energies of the transitions were determined. In addition, we identify the lines due to the annihilation of exciton-neutral defect complexes, in ground or excited state. When the luminescence is modulated by a CO2 laser (hνIR ~ 130 meV) effects are observed at liquid helium temperature. A quenching effect is observed for the free-to-bound and pair recombinations. Quenching of the luminescence due to the annihilation of exciton isoelectronic oxygen complexes is a direct corroboration of the binding-in-two-step theory.
KeywordsFree Exciton Helium Temperature Liquid Helium Temperature Edge Emission Beam Voltage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.A. Aten, C. Van Doorn, A. Vink, Proc. Intern. Conf. on the Physics of Semiconductors, Exeter, July 1962, p. 696.Google Scholar
- 4.k. B. Segall, D. Marple, Physics and Chemistry of II-VI Compounds, edited by Aven and Prener, North Holland (1967), p. 335.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Halsted, M. Aven, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. (1961) 312.Google Scholar
- 6.E. Gross, L. Suslina, A. Lifshitz, Sov. Phys. Sol. State 5 582 (1963).Google Scholar
- 7.D. Thomas, Dingle, J. Cuthbert, II-VI Semiconducting Compounds, edited by D. G. Thomas, Benjamin, New York (1967), p. 863.Google Scholar
- 9.W. Merz, Intern. Conf. on Physics of Semiconductors, Cambridge, Mass. edited by S. P. Keller, J. C. Hensel, F. Stern, USAEC (1970), p. 251.Google Scholar
- 10.A. Maruani, These de 3° Cycle, Paris VI, 1972.Google Scholar
- 13.M. Aven, J. Appi. Phys. 38, 444 (1967).Google Scholar
- 14.G. Neu, Y. Marfaing, C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris B 273 1112 (1971).Google Scholar
- 15.I. Noblanc, J. Loudette, G. Duraffourg, J. of Luminescence 1,2, 528 (1970).Google Scholar
- 16.D. Marple, M. Aven, Physics and Chemistry of II-VI Compounds, edited hy D. G. Thomas, Benjamin (1967) p. 315.Google Scholar
- 20.J. Cuthbert, J. Appl. Phys. 739 (1971).Google Scholar