Prophylactic Lithium Maintenance Treatment in Recurrent Endogenous Affective Disorders
The demonstration of the prophylactic effect of lithium has been more difficult than the demonstration of its therapeutic effect. A convincing demonstration of the efficacy of this treatment was particularly important, because lithium has a relatively narrow therapeutic range. Prophylactic lithium treatment has been the subject of much debate, and a number of experimental designs were used to demonstrate its value. These studies have not only shed light on the clinical and pharmacological properties of the lithium ion; they have also provided new knowledge about the recurrent endogenous affective disorders.
KeywordsAffective Disorder Depressive Episode Lithium Treatment Serum Lithium Concentration Index Episode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baastrup, P. C., 1960, Experiences with lithium treatment. Unpublished paper read to a staff meeting at Vordingborg Psychiatric Hospital.Google Scholar
- Editorial, 1969, Lithium, Lancet 1:709.Google Scholar
- Freyhan, F. A., 1970, Lithium: Some critical considerations. Int. Pharmacopsychiat. 5:77Google Scholar
- Grof, P., Cakuls, P., and Dostal, T., 1970b, Lithium drop-outs: A follow-up study of patients who discontinued prophylactic treatment. Int. Pharmacopsychiat. 5:162.Google Scholar
- Hansen, C. J., Retboll, K., and Schou, M., 1958, Unpublished data reported by Schou (1959).Google Scholar
- Hartigan, G. P., 1959, Experiences of treatment with lithium salts, Unpublished paper read to the Southeastern Branch of the Royal Medicopsychological Society.Google Scholar
- Isaksson, A., Ottosson, J.-O., and Perris, C., 1969, Methodologische Aspekte der Forschung über prophylaktische Behandlung bei affektiven Psychosen, in: Das depressive Syndrom (H. Hippius and H. Selbach, eds.), pp. 561–574, Urban & Schwarzenberg, Munich, Berlin, and Vienna.Google Scholar
- Klerman, G. L., and Paykel, E. S., 1970, Long-term drug therapy in affective disorders. Theoretical and methodological issues in current research on lithium. Int. Pharmacopsy-Mat. 5:80.Google Scholar
- Saran, B. M., 1970, The course of recurrent depressive illness in selected patients from a defined population, Int. Pharmacopsychiat. 5:119.Google Scholar
- Schou, M., Juel-Nielsen, N., Strömgren, E., and Voldby, H., 1955, Behandling af maniske psykoser med lithium, Ugeskrift Leger. 117:93.Google Scholar
- Schou, M., Thomsen, K., and Baastrup, P. C., 1970b, Studies on the course of recurrent endogenous affective disorders. Int. Pharmacopsychiat. 5:100.Google Scholar