Basal Pituitary-Gonadal Function in Impotency Evaluated By Blood Testosterone and LH Assays
Psychogenic impotency is a frequent disease whose neuroendocrine and partic ularly androgenic component is not perfectly understood. It is known that in man late castration or testicular organic disease does not necessarily alter the sexual potency; this agrees well with the common clinical observations of the poor efficiency of exogenous testosterone in the treatment of “impotentia coeun-di”. Nevertheless, a net decrease of urinary testosterone excretion has been noticed by Ismail et al. (1970) in a group of 28 impotent patients; in that study, individual values were very widespread. This work has also shown a lack of responsiveness of testes to exogenous HCG in 4 cases tested; however, to our knowledge, no sensitive LH assay has been realized until now, so that the central response to that peripheric insufficiency is not known.
KeywordsGonadal Function Psychological Trouble Poor Efficiency Sexual Potency Exogenous Testosterone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Franchimont, P. (1968): Spivn In: Protein and Polypeptide Hormones. Ed. by M. Margoulies. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam. Part I. p. 99.Google Scholar
- Franchimont, P. and Legros, J. J. (1970): Spivn In: The Hypothalamus. Ed. by L. Martini, M. Motta and F. Fraschini. Academic Press, New York. p. 365.Google Scholar
- Henry, R. and Thevenet, M. (1953): Ann. Endocr. (Paris) 14, 628.Google Scholar
- Ismail, A. A. A. and Harkness, R. A. (1967): Acta endocr. (Kbh.)56, 469.Google Scholar
- Ismail, A. A. A., Davidson, D. W., Loraine, J. A., Cullen, D. R., Irvine, W. J., Cooper, A. J. and Smith, C. G. (1970): Spivn In: Reproduction Endocrinology. Ed. by J. Irvine. Livingstone, Edinburgh, p. 138.Google Scholar
- Jayle, M. F., Malassis, D. and Scholler, R. (1962): In: Analyses des Stéroïdes hormonaux. Tome II. Méthodes de dosages. Ed. by M. F. Jayle. Masson, Paris, p. 37.Google Scholar
- Legros, J. J. (1970): Feuillets Psychiatriques de Liège3/4, 530.Google Scholar
- Legros, J. J. and Franchimont, P. (1971): In: Proceedings of the Symposium on Gonadotropins in Endocrine Disorders of Human Reproduction. Smokoveck, Czechoslovakia. (In press).Google Scholar
- Palem, M., Maquinay, A. and Margoulies, M. (1971): (In press).Google Scholar
- Scholler, R., Busigny, M. and Jayle, M. F. (1957): Arch. Soc. franç. Biol. med.2, 47.Google Scholar