Nonlinear Optical Effects
Third-harmonic generation in cholesteric liquid crystals, far-infrared generation by ultrashort pulses, and self-focusing of light in nonlinear media are taken as examples for illustration of nonlinear optical effects. Depending on the problems, different approximations are used in solving the nonlinear wave equations. Connection between nonlinear optical effects and properties of the media is briefly discussed.
KeywordsFocal Spot Ultrashort Pulse Nonlinear Wave Equation Cholesteric Liquid Crystal Nonlinear Optical Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For detailed discussion see, for example. N. Bloembergen, Nonlinear Optics (W. A. Benjamin, Inc., New York 1965).Google Scholar
- 2.J. C. Phillips, Phys. Rev. Letters 20, 550(1968).Google Scholar
- 6.See, for example, G. W. Gray, Molecular Structure and the Properties of Liquid Crystals (Academic Press, New York, 1962) p. 39.Google Scholar
- 9.J. W. Shelton and Y. R. Shen, Presented at the Sixth International Quantum Electronics Conference, Kyoto, Japan, 1970) paper 11–3Google Scholar
- 10.N. Bloembergen (private communication).Google Scholar
- 13.J. R. Morris and Y. R. Shen, Optics Comm. (to be published).Google Scholar
- 14.K. H. Yang, Y. R. Shen, J. W. Shelton, and P. L. Richards (to be published). A preliminary report was presented at the Sixth International Quantum Electronic Conference at Kyoto, Japan, 1970; paper 8–6.Google Scholar
- 19.A. L. Dyshko, V. N. Lugovoi, and A. M. Prokhorov, Zh. Eksperim. i Theo. Fiz. Pis’ma Redakt. 6, 655(1967), [Translation: JETP Letters 6, 146(1967)1 V. N. Lugovoi and A. M. Prokhorov, ibid. 7, 153(1968) [Translation: JETP Letters 7, 344(1966)].Google Scholar
- 22.V. V. Korobkin, A. M. Prokhorov, R. V. Serov, and M. Ya. Shchelev, ZHETF. Pis. Red. 11, 153(1970); [Translation: JETP Letters 11, 94(1970)].Google Scholar
- 23.M. M. T. Loy and Y. R. Shen; presented at the Sixth International Quantum Electronic Conference, Kyoto, Japan, 1970, paper 9–7Google Scholar