The Brady Urological Institute Origin, Growth, and Development
In 1913 a momentous event occurred in American urology. Following a successful “punch operation” on James Buchanan Brady performed by Dr. Hugh Hampton Young, “Diamond Jim” agreed to donate funds to build and endow a urological institute at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, bearing his name in perpetuity. Up to this time, urological cases for the most part were scattered around the country throughout the wards of general surgery. Although surgeons relied at times on urologists for diagnosis, they reserved to themselves the right to operate whenever operation proved necessary. In most parts of the country, the urologists were not adequately trained as surgeons and their activities were limited to instrumentation and to the treatment of urinary infections and venereal disease. However, a few pioneers in urological surgery did exist, but they owed their distinction to the pleasure and generosity of their general surgical peers. Urology as a true specialty had not yet been born.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.