The Uses of Intestine in Urology (A “Gut Reaction,” for W. W. S.)
The various uses of intestine in urological surgery make up one of the most fascinating chapters in surgical history because of the many variations in technique and results. There is an immense literature on the subject, and I shall here, chiefly, refer to some of my own contributions, each of which has its own bibliography.
KeywordsInterstitial Cystitis Urinary Diversion Pelvic Exenteration Imperforate Anus Urinary Tract Obstruction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Goodwin, W. E., and Martin, D. C. Commentary on “Physiologic implantation of the severe° ureter or common bile duct into the intestine,” by R. C. Coffey, M. D. In Classical Articles in Urology, Immergut, M. A. (ed.), Charles C Thomas, Publisher, Springfield, Ill. p. 306, 1967.Google Scholar
- 2.Hinman, F., and Weyrauch, H. M., Jr. A critical study of the different principles of surgery which have been used in uretero-intestinal implantation. Trans. Am. Assoc. Genitourin. Surg. 29: 15–156, 1936.Google Scholar
- 8.Goodwin, W. E., Ureterosigmoidostomy (open trans-colonic ureteral intestinal anastomosis). In The Craft of Surgery, Cooper, P. (ed.), Vol. 11, Little Brown and Company, Boston, Chap. 117, p. 1367, 1964.Google Scholar
- 9.Mathisen, W. Clinical and Experimental Studies on Ureterocolic Anastomosis, Oslo University Press, 1969.Google Scholar
- 11.Bricker, E. M. Bladder substitution after pelvic evisceration. Sug. Clin. N. Am. 30: 1511, 1950.Google Scholar
- 12.Bricker, E. M. Commentary on Bricker’s operation. In Classical Articles in Urology, Immergut, M. A. (ed.), Charles C Thomas, Publisher, Springfield, Ill. p. 319, 1967.Google Scholar
- 16.Gil-Vemet, J. M., Jr. The ileocolic segment in urologic surgery. J. Urol. 94: 418–426, 1965.Google Scholar
- 23.Goodwin. W. E. Ileocystoplasty. In The Craft of Surgery, Cooper, P. (ed.), Little, Brown and Company, Boston, Chap. 115, p. 1349, 1964.Google Scholar
- 24.Goodwin, W. E. Late complications of enterocystoplasty. Acta Urol. 37: 51–52, 1969.Google Scholar
- 25.Goodwin, W. E. Replacement of the ureter by small intestine. In The Craft of Surgery, Cooper, P. (ed.), Little, Brown and Company, Boston, Chap. 116, p. 1357. 1964.Google Scholar
- 28.Goodwin, W. E. Replacement of the ureter by small intestine—the ileal ureter. In Modern Trends in Urology (2ser.), Riches, E. (ed.), Butterworths, London, 1960.Google Scholar
- 29.Lhez, A. Les remplacements del’uretère, Masson et Cie, Paris, 1968.Google Scholar