The Effect of Ion Exchange on Latex Stability
Recently, it was shown (1) that the adsorbed emulsifier and solute electrolyte are removed quantitatively from polystyrene latexes by ion exchange. Rigorous purification of the ion-exchange resin is necessary to avoid contamination of the latex by leached polyelectrolytes. The ion-exchanged latexes are titrated conductometrically with sodium hydroxide to determine the residual charged groups on the particle surface. These strong-acid groups are attributed to the sulfate endgroups of the polymer molecules introduced by the persulfate initiator.
KeywordsAverage Particle Size Solid Content Latex Particle Surface Charge Density Polystyrene Latex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J.W. Vanderhoff, H.J. van den Hul, R.J.M. Tausk, & J.Th.G. Overbeek, “Clean Surfaces: Their Preparation and Characterization for Interfacial Studies”, G. Goldfinger, editor, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1970, p. 15.Google Scholar
- 3.H.J. van den Hul & J.W. Vanderhoff, Proc. Vth Int. Congress on Surface Active Substances, Barcelona, Spain, Sept. 1968, Sect. B, p. 319.Google Scholar
- 4.H.J. van den Hul & J.W. Vanderhoff, “Polymer Colloids”, R.M. Fitch, editor, Plenum Press, New York, 1971, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 5.G.D. McCann, J.W. Vanderhoff, A. Strickler, & T.I. Sachs, paper presented at the 44th Nat. Colloid Symp., Lehigh Un., Bethlehem, Pa., June 22–24, 1970.Google Scholar
- 6.Rohm & Haas Co. Tech. Bull. “Amber-Hi-Lites” Issue No. 54.Google Scholar
- 8.M.E. Elder, thesis “Light Scattering in Solution”, Case Inst. of Tech., Cleveland, Ohio, 1951.Google Scholar
- 9.E.B. Bradford & J.W. Vanderhoff, J. Polymer Sci. C3, 41 (1963).Google Scholar
- 10.R.V. Dulfur, Rubber J. 149, 53 (1967).Google Scholar
- 11.The Dow Chemical Co. Tech. Bull. “Dowex Ion Exchange”, 1964.Google Scholar
- 12.E.J.W. Verwey & J.Th.G. Overbeek, “Theory of the Stability of Lyophobic Colloids”, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1948.Google Scholar
- 14.G.D. McCann, E.B. Bradford, H.J. van den Hul, & J.W. Vanderhoff, submitted to J. Colloid & Interface Sci.Google Scholar
- 15.J.W. Vanderhoff & E.F. Gurnee, Tappi 39, 71 (1956).Google Scholar