Micromorphology-Property Relationships in Graft and Block Copolymers
Graft and block copolymers composed of plastic and rubber components have attracted much attention because of their interesting combination of physical properties. ABS plastics which possess the rigidity of plastics and the toughness of rubbers at the same time are good examples. The properties of ABS have been realized by incorporating fine rubber particles in plastic matrix, i.e., by designing the phase structure. The importance of phase structure was first recognized when Kato(l)demonstrated micro- structure of the ABS plastic clearly under the electron microscope by using his osmium tetroxide (0s04) staining and hardening procedure. With the aid of Kato’s method, it has now become possible to study the micromorphologies in plastic-rubber systems and to correlate them with their physical properties. This method of investigation has been quite new in this field and supplements the traditional method of setting up a hypothesis, carrying out the experiments and modifying the hypothesis.
KeywordsBlock Copolymer Impact Strength Graft Copolymer Interpenetrate Polymer Network Cast Film
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Kato, J. Electron Microscopy, l4, (3), 219 (1965); Polymer Letters, b, 35 (1966).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Kato, Japan Plastic, 2, (2), 6 (1968).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Matsuo, Japan Plastics, 2, (3), 6 (1968).Google Scholar
- 4.JP-42-19248, 42- 22541 and BE-719,425Google Scholar
- 9.T. L. Smith, Polymer Preprints, 10, (2), 670 (1969).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Matsuo, T. K. Kwei, D. Klempner, H. L. Frisch, Polymer Eng. & Sci., (to be published in Nov. issue, 1970 ).Google Scholar
- 12.L. H. Sperling, D. W. Friedman, J. Polymer Sci., Part A-2, 7, 425 (1969).Google Scholar
- 13.H. Hendus, K. H. Illers, E. Ropte, Kollidzschr. 216–217, 110 (1967).Google Scholar
- 15.E. Vanzo, J. Polym. Sci., A–l, 4, 1727 (1966).Google Scholar
- 17.E. B. Bradford, E. Vanzo, J. Polym. Sci., A–l, 6, l66l (1968).Google Scholar
- 19.T. Inoue, T. Soen, T. Hashimoto, H. Kawai, J. Polym. Sci., A–2, 7, 1283 (1969).Google Scholar
- 21.M. Matsuo, unpublished data.Google Scholar