Optical Aperture Synthesis Producing High-Resolution Photographs by Incoherent Superposition of Low-Resolution Partial-Frequency Range Component Photographs
The long-sought extension to the optical domain of the Ryle (1957) computer-synthesis ‘synthetic-aperture radio telescope’ principle has been obtained by simple photographic synthesis of the ‘high-resolution’ image in a single photograph, exposed successively through sets of small apertures, placed successively to generate the spatial frequency components of the desired large aperture.
The high-resolution “full spatial-frequency range” optical image may be synthesized by superposing in a single plate a suitable set of low-resolution partial frequency-range photographs, obtained separately or simultaneously, with “low-frequency redundancy” supressed by spatial filtering.
KeywordsSpatial Frequency Small Aperture Component Image Optical Domain Image Synthesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. H. Blythe, Monthly Notices Roy. Astron. Soc. 117(1957) 644.Google Scholar
- M. Ryle and A. Hewish, Monthly Notices Roy. Astron. Soc. 120(1960)220.Google Scholar
- A. Hewish, Proc. IRE(Australia) 24(1963)225.Google Scholar
- R. C. Hansen, ed. Microwave scanning antennas, Vol. 1 (Academic Press, New York, 1964).Google Scholar
- J. P. Wild, Proc. Roy. Soc. (London) A286(1965)499.Google Scholar
- G. W. Stroke and R. G. Zech, Phys. Letters 25A(1967)89.Google Scholar
- G. W. Stroke, An introduction to coherent optics andnd holography, 2nd ed. (Academic Press, New York, 1969).Google Scholar
- Synthetic aperture optics, Proceedings of August 1967 Woods Hole Summer Study, Vol. I and Vol. II (U. S. National Academy of Sciences, Washington D.C. 1968).Google Scholar
- J. W. Wilczynski, IBM Res. Repts. RC-1988 and RC-2034 (1968) unpublished; private communication to the author from E. S. Barrekette, IBM 10 Sept. 1969.Google Scholar
- G. W. Stroke, in: Handbuch der Physik, Vol. 29, ed. S. Flügge (Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1967) p. 426.Google Scholar
- A. Maréchal and M. Françon, Diffraction structure des images (Revue d’Optique, Paris, 1960).Google Scholar
- G. Nomarsky and Y. Levy, paper presented at I.O.C. Symp. on the applications of coherent light, Florence (1968)Google Scholar