Bands, Bonds, and Boundaries
Isolated polyatomic molecules
“Molecular” crystals with many atoms per unit cell.
Impurity and defect clusters in an otherwise perfect crystal.
Macromolecules important in polymer science and biology.
KeywordsPerfect Crystal Polyatomic Molecule Secular Equation Sulfate Cluster Band Theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. H. Johnson, “Multiple-Scattering Model for Poly-atomic Molecules,” J. Chem. Phys. 45, 3085 (1966); K. H. Johnson, “Multiple-Scattering Model for Polyatomic Molecules II,” Inter. J. Quantum Chem. 1s, 361 (1967). Also see Ref. 19. Simpler versions of this approach have been proposed independently by L.Eyges, “Solution of the Schrodinger Equation for a Particle Bound to More than One Spherical Potential,” Phys. Rev. 111, 683 (1958) and by B. Segall, “On the Calculation of Molecular Orbitals,” Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 1, 302 (1956) and private communication.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.J. Korringa, “On the Calculation of the Energy of a Bloch Wave in a Metal,” physica 13, 392 (1947); W. Kohn and N. Rostoker, “Solution of the Schrodinger Equation in Periodic Lattices with an Application to Metallic Lithium,” Phys. Rev. 94, 1111 (1954); B. Segall, “Calculation of the Band Structure of Complex Crystals,” Phys. Rev. 105, 108 (1957).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.J. C. Slater, Quantum Theory of Matter, Second Edition ( McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1968 ), p. 392.Google Scholar
- 6.A. R. Williams, “Non Muffin-Tin Energy Bands for Silicon by the KKR Method,” Phys. Rev. (in press).Google Scholar
- 7.J. C. Slater, T. M. Wilson, and J. H. Wood, “Comparison of Several Exchange Potentials for Electrons in the Cu+ Ion,” Phys. Rev. 179, 28 (1969); J. C. Slater, J. B. Mann, T. M. Wilson, and J. H. Wood, “Nonintegral Occupation Numbers in Transition Atoms in Crystals,” Phys. Rev. 184, 672 (1969); J. C, Slater, “Present Status of the Xa Statistical Exchange,” Semi-Annual Progress Report Number 71, Solid-State and Molecular Theory Group, M.I.T. (July 15, 1969 ).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.A. Messiah, Quantum Mechanics ( North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1962 ), p. 806.Google Scholar
- 11.F. C. Smith, Jr. and K. H. Johnson, “SCF Molecular-Orbital Studies of the Sulfate Ion by the Scattered-Wave Model,” Semi-Annual Progress Report Number 73, Solid-State and Molecular Theory Group, M.I.T. (July 15, 1970 ).Google Scholar
- 17.K. H. Johnson and J. W. D. Connolly, “On Calculating the Localized Electronic States of Surface and Line Defects,” Phys. Letters 28A, 291 (1968).Google Scholar
- 18.W. H. Butler and W. Kohn, “Small Cluster Theory of Disordered Systems,” NBS Conference on Electronic Density of States (to be published).Google Scholar