Measurement of Nuclear γ Rays and μ X Rays in Muonic 209Bi
The anomalous intensity ratios observed in 209Bi were explained by Hüfnerl by a resonance mechanism, according to which the nucleus is excited into the 15/2+ (2.74 MeV) and 9/2+ (2.56 MeV) state. In this paper we report on the observation of nuclear γ rays following this excitation. Spectra were taken with a Ge-detector at the CERN muon channel. Four γ lines were identified in the prompt (1 2 3 4 Ge) spectrum as belonging to transitions in 209Bi. The energies Eμ and intensities Yexp of these lines are presented in table 1. They turn out to be shif-ted in energy by ΔEexp (table 1) compared to energies Ee as derived from Coulomb excitation2.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).J. Hüfner, Phys. Lett. 25B (1967) 189Google Scholar
- 2).J.W.Hertel, D.G. Fleming, J.P. Schiffer and H.E. Gove, to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 3).Average of R.A. Carrigan et al., Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 13 (1968) 65 and R.J. Powers, Phys. Rev. 169 (1968) 1Google Scholar
- 4).J.D. Bowman, F.C. Zawislak and E.N. Kaufmann, Phys. Lett. 29B (1959) 226Google Scholar
- 5).F. Scheck, to be published. It was assumed gseff = 2.μ = 7.8 nm.Google Scholar
- 6).A.R. Barnett and W.R. Phillips, IUPAP Conf. Heidelberg 1969Google Scholar
- 7).The program was kindly supplied by J. HüfnerGoogle Scholar