Synthesis of Homochiral Pharmaceuticals using Effective Enantioselective Biocatalysts
Scientists, both in academia and industry, as well as regulatory authorities become more and more aware of the importance of enantioselectivity in drug innovation. About 25% of the medicines used to-day are racemic mixtures. The therapeutic activity nearly always resides in one of the isomers (the so-called eutomer), while the other isomer (distomer) can have an unwanted interaction with the human body; at best the distomer is a metabolic burden. Essentially the same holds true for other interactions between synthetic organic compounds and biological systems e.g. the impact of agrochemicals on ecosystems.
KeywordsPropionic Acid Racemic Mixture Tiaprofenic Acid High Substrate Concentration Glyceric Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Hubschwerken, Synthesis, 1986, 962 and references therein.Google Scholar
- 3.H. J. Kooreman, in: Trends in Drug Research (V. Claassen, Ed.) 401–412, Elsevier.Google Scholar
- 4.Gist-brocades nv, Patent application filed; to be published.Google Scholar
- 5.W. J. H. van den Tweel et al, 5th Eur. Congress on Biotechnology, Copenhagen, 1990, Abstract Book, p. 283.Google Scholar
- 6b.S. Takano, Y. Iwabuchi and K. Ogasawara, J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun., 1527, (1988).Google Scholar
- 6c.Modern Synthetic Methods, vol. 2, p. 241, 1980.Google Scholar
- 7b.J. H. van Boon, Synthesis, 5, 399, (1982).Google Scholar
- 7c.A. Holly, Coll. Czech. Chem. Comm., 43, 3103, (1978).Google Scholar
- 7d.P. Dostert, M. Langlois, P. Geurret, J. F. Ancher, B. Bucher and G. Mocquet, Eur. J. Med. Chem., 15, 199, (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.W. J. Quax et al, Molecular cloning of stereoselective esterase from Bacillus species, Proceedings 4th European Congress on Biotechnology, 1987; volume 1: 519.Google Scholar
- 11.Gist-brocades nv, patent application filed; to be published.Google Scholar