Characterization of Rf-Sputtered Lanthanum Aluminate Thin Films
To obtain good quality superconducting thin films on conventional sapphire and silicon substrates we have investigated the deposition of buffer layers of lanthanum aluminate. The depositions were performed using rf-magnetron sputtering with a lanthanum aluminate target and a heated or rotating substrate holder. Energy-dispersive x-ray spectroscopy analysis showed that the stoichiometry of the films is correct and scanning electron microscopy analysis indicated good film morphology. X-ray diffraction analysis was used to determine the phase, purity, and degree of crystallinity of the buffer films both before and after annealing. We have been able to produce smooth amorphous and crystalline films of lanthanum aluminate with the correct stoichiometry on both sapphire and silicon and are currently working toward single crystal buffer layers with particular orientations.
KeywordsCrystallization Beach Sapphire Yttrium Lanthanum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. M. Hill, H. M. Meyer, J. H. Weaver, and D. L. Nelson, Passivation of High Tc Superconductor surfaces with CaF2 and Bi, Al, and Si Oxides, Appl. Phys. Lett. 57(17):1657 (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.Oak Ridge Scientists Divulge New Superconductor Substrate, New Technology Week 11 (1989).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Migliuolo, A. K. Stamper, D. W. Greve, and T. E. Schlesinger, Single Target Sputtering of Superconducting YBa2Cu307_x Thin Films on Si (100), Appl. Phys. Lett. 54(9):859 (1989).Google Scholar
- 8.R. W. Simon, A. E. Lee, C. E. Platt, K. P. Daly, J. A. Luine, C. E. Eom, P. A. Rosenthal, X. D. Wu, and T. Venkatesan, Growth of High—Temperature Superconductor Thin Films On Lanthanum Aluminate Substrates, in: “Proceeding of SERI Conference on Science and Technology of Thin Film Superconductors”, R. D. McConnell and S. A. Wolf, eds., Plenum Press, New York, 1989, pp. 337–346.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.A. M. Bono, Diffusive Interaction Between YBa2Cu3O7-x and LaAlO3, Senior Thesis, Colorado School of Mines, 1989.Google Scholar