Accumulation of Lipids in Developing Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae Rhamnoides L.) Fruits
Plant reserve oils consisting for the most part of triacylglycerols (TAGs) are known to be localized mainly in the seeds. These oils play a major role during seed germination, being utilized to form seedling biomass /1/. However, there is a number of species (oil palm, avocado, olive, sea buckthorn etc.), which accumulate great amounts of oil not only in the seeds, but also in a water-rich mesocarp. These oils are referred to below as plants with oily mesocarp (POM). The biological role of mesocarp TAGs is unknown, and therefore studies in this field are of great interest. Sea buckthorn was chosen for these studies because it is widely distributed in our country, whereas other POM are not readily available in Russia; besides, its oil is extensively applied in medicine /2/.
KeywordsBiomass Hydrolysis Lipase Triglyceride Meso
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hiditch, T. P. and Williams, P. N. (1964) The chemical constitution of natural fats, Wiley, New York, 745 pp.Google Scholar
- 2.Franke, W. und Müller, H. (1983) Ang. Botanik, 57, 77–83.Google Scholar
- 3.Zhukov, A. V. and Vereshchagin, A. G. (1974) Fisiologiya rastenii, 21, 659–663.Google Scholar
- 4.Filatov, I. I. (1976) Fruit and berry crops, Inst. Agric., Gorky, pp. 34–35.Google Scholar
- 5.Zham’yansan, Ya. (1978) Khimiya prir. soedin., No. 1, 133–134.Google Scholar
- 6.Zhmyrko, T.G. (1984) Khimiya prir. soedin., No. 3, 300–305.Google Scholar
- 7.Hitchcock, C. and Nichols, B.W. (1971) Plant lipid biochemistry, Academic Press, New York, 387 pp.Google Scholar
- 1.Mannan, A., Farooqi, J. A. and Asif, M. (1984) Chemistry and Industry, No. 23, p. 851–852.Google Scholar
- 2.Appelqvist, L. A. (1975) in Galliard, T. and Mercer, E. I. (Eds.) Recent advances in the chemistry and biochemistry of plant lipids, Academic Press, New York, pp. 247–286.Google Scholar
- 3.Zhukov, A. V. and Vereshchagin, A. G. (1980) Fisiologiya rastenii, 27, 390–398.Google Scholar
- 4.Ozerinina, O. V., Berezhnaya, G. A., Eliseev, I. P. and Vereschagin, A.G. (1987) Khimiya prir. soedin., No. 1, 52–57.Google Scholar
- 5.Litchfield, C. (1972) Analysis of triglycerides, Academic Press, New York, 355 pp.Google Scholar