Human Factors Considerations in the Assessment of Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) Reliability
The overall performance level for an NDE operation is dependent on the NDE material, equipment, processes (methodology) and human skills applied to the operation. It is important to understand and consider human factors elements and contributions to NDE applications in the improvement of applications, in the design and validation of new applications, in automating portions of task performance, and in the development of modeling tools for the prediction of task performance for existing and new applications.
KeywordsFatigue Radar Assure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.A. T. Welford, “Fundamentals of Skill,” Methuen & Co. Ltd., London (1968).Google Scholar
- 4.J. A. Swets, ed., “Signal Detection and Recognition by Human Observers,” Wiley, New York (1964).Google Scholar
- 5.S. Deutsch, Human Factors and Measurement Uncertainties, ASME Transactions — Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) and Human Factors, October 12–13, 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.J. N. Yang and R. C. Donath, Improving NDE Capability Through Multiple Inspections with Application to Gas Turbine Engine Disks, Air Force Wright Aeronautical Laboratories Report, AFWAL TR-82–411, June 1983.Google Scholar
- 7.E. L. Caustin, Nondestructive Testing Demonstration, North American Rockwell, Contract No. F33657–70-C-0800, 1971.Google Scholar
- 8.H. R. Chin Quan and I. G. Scott, Operator Effects in NDI-Part I, Eddy Current Measurements on Aluminum Alloy Blocks Containing Edge Slots, Metallurgy Note 82, Aeronautical Research Laboratories, Australian Defense Science Service, 1972.Google Scholar
- 9.J. C. Herr and G. L. Marsh, NDT Reliability and Human Factors, Materials Evaluation 36:13:41–46 (December 1978).Google Scholar
- 10.J. T. Fong, ed., “Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE): Reliability and Human Factors,” ASME Transactions, October 12–13, 1981.Google Scholar
- 11.J. T. Fong, S. J. Bush, and O. F. Hedden, eds., “NDE Reliability Through Rotmd Robin Testing,” ASME Transactions, June 19–21, 1983.Google Scholar