Thus Fracastorius begins his famous poem, which gave us the name syphilis for this major venereal disease. Close to five centuries later, the question of whence the disease came is still being debated.
KeywordsLichen Planus Venereal Disease Research Laboratory Benzathine Penicillin Secondary Syphilis Latent Syphilis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cluckman JB, Kleinman MS, May AG: Primary syphilis of the rectum. NY State J Med 74: 2210–2211, 1974.Google Scholar
- 5.Wilcox RR, Goodwin PG: Nerve deafness in early syphilis. Br J Verier Dis 47: 401–406, 1971.Google Scholar
- 7.Stokes JH, Beerman H, Ingraham NR: Modern Clinical Syphilology, ed 3. Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 1945, pp 604–605.Google Scholar
- 9.Clark GE, Danbolt N: The Oslo study of the natural course of untreated syphilis. Med Clin North Am 48 (3): 613–623, 1964.Google Scholar
- 10.Center for Disease Control: CDC-HSM Form 9. 54. Atlanta, HEW-PHS-CDC, VD Control Division, Evaluation and Statistical Services Section, 1979.Google Scholar
- 11.Bell AP, Weinberg MS: Homosexualities. A Study of Diversity Among Men and Women. New York, Simon and Schuster, 1978, pp 85–102.Google Scholar
- 12.Merino HI, Bennett D, Judson FN, et al: Screening for gonorrhea and syphilis in the gay bathhouses. A comparative study of programs in Denver, Colorado, and Los Angeles, California. Presented at the 105th Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, Oct 30-Nov 3, 1977.Google Scholar