Modification of the Rheological Properties of Mucus by Drugs
The rheological properties of mucus secretions from various sites in the body are related to their particular physiological function. Although in normal circumstances the body produces secretions with optimal rheological properties to fulfil such functions, during disease the mucus produced may be too thick or too thin and in both cases may behave sub-optimally. In such situations it becomes attractive to administer chemical agents or drugs, either locally or systemically, which modify the rheological properties in an attempt to correct function. Furthermore, in certain cases it may be desirable to artificially manipulate the consistency of the mucus in order to produce a specific effect.
KeywordsRheological Property Creep Compliance Chlormadinone Acetate Bronchial Mucus Cysteine Derivative
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, D.T., 1980, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Nottingham.Google Scholar
- Chodosh, S., 1980, Acetylcysteine in chronic bronchitis, Eur. J. Respir. Dis., 61(S111): 90.Google Scholar
- Davis, S.S. and Deverell, L.C., 1977, Rheological factors in mucociliary clearance, Mod. Probl. Paediat., 19: 207.Google Scholar
- Lightowler, J.E. and Lightowler, N.M., 1971, Comparative mucolytic studies on dithiothreitol, N-acetylcysteine and L-cysteine on human respiratory mucus in vitro and their effects on the role of flow of mucus in the exposed trachea of the rat on topical application, Arch. int. Pharmacodyn., 189: 53.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Marriott, C., Beeson, M.F. and Brown, D.T., 1981a, Biopolymer induced changes in mucus viscoelasticity, this conference.Google Scholar
- Marriott, C., Brown, D.T. and Beeson, M.F., 1981b, Evaluation of mucolytic activity using a purified mucus glycoprotein gel, this conference.Google Scholar
- McNiff, E., Clemente, E. and Fung, H.L., 1975, In vitro comparison of the mucolytic activity of sodium metabisulfite, N-acetylcysteine and dithiothreitol, Drug Dev.Comm., 1: 507.Google Scholar
- Verstraeten, J -M., 1980, Mucolytic treatment in chronic airways obstruction. Double-blind clinical trial with acetylcysteine, bromhexine and placebo., Eur. J. Respir. Dis., 61(S111): 77.Google Scholar
- Ziment, I., 1978, Respiratory Pharmacology and Therapeutics, W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar