The Mechanism of the Circadian Rhythm of Photosynthesis
One of the characteristic features of living systems is the ability to adapt to varying environmental conditions. During evolution, features which favor adaptation to special conditions have been positively selected and genetically established. Those environmental phenomena which are due to the rotation of the earth deserve special attention. These phenomena are coupled to a 24 hour cycle and, to a high degree, are connected to the cyclic availability of light energy emitted by the sun. Keeping in mind the cyclic nature of irradiation, it is tempting to assume that plants, which convert light energy into chemical energy, would have a higher capability to utilize light energy during the day and a lower one during the night.
KeywordsCircadian Rhythm Thylakoid Membrane Light Energy Gene Expression System Phase Response Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bünning, E. The Physiological Clock (1973) Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- 2.Halberg, F. Halberg, E., Barnum, C.P. and Bittner, J.J.(1959) pp. 803–878.In: Photoperiodism and Related Phenomena in Plants and Animals. Withrow, R.B., Ed. Amer. Assoc. Adv. Sci. Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- 3.Hastings, J.W., Schweiger, H.G. The Molecular Basis of Circadian Rhythms (1976) Dahlem Konferenzen Abakon Verlagsgesellschaft Berlin.Google Scholar
- 4.Schweiger, H.G., and Berger, S. Int. Rev. of Cytol. Suppl. 9 (1979) pp. 11–44, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 6.Schweiger, E., Wallraff, H.G. and Schweiger, H.G. Z. Naturforschg. (1964) 19b, 499–505.Google Scholar
- 9.Mergenhagen, D. and Schweiger, H.G. First Europ. Biophys. Congr., (1971) Baden near Vienna, Austria, pp. 497–501.Google Scholar
- 14.Schweiger, H.G. Drug Research (1978) 28, 1814–1818.Google Scholar
- 17.Leong, T.Y., Woodward, D.O. and Schweiger, H.G. In Progress in Acetabularia Research Woodcock, C.L. F. Ed. (1977) pp. 153–157, Academic Press, New York,Google Scholar
- 21.Broda, H., Schweiger, G., Koop, H.-U., Schmid, R. and Schweiger, H.G. (1979) pp. 163–167 In: Developmental Biology of Acetabularia Bonotto, S., Kefeli, 0. and Puiseux-Dao, S. Eds. Elsevier , Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- 22.Jacklet, J.W. J. of exp. Bio!. (1980) 85, 33–42.Google Scholar
- 23.Dunlap, J.C., Taylor, W. and Hastings, J.W. J. of comp. Physiol. (1980) 138, 1–8.Google Scholar
- 24.Vanden Driessche, T., Dujardin, E., Magnusson, A. and Sironval , C.Int. J. Chronobiol. (1976) 4, 111–124.Google Scholar